Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing with Spaces

I have a column of data separated with a space. Each space represents
a new day.

2
3
9 14

4
4 8

5
6
7
7 25

4
19 23

Is there a formula I can put along side in column b that will total
each day's results and show it like I've done above?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This works but it requires the cell immediately above your data be empty.

This also assumes that the next cell after the last entry in the range is
empty.

So, assume cell A1 is empty and your data starts in cell A2.

Enter this formula in B2 and copy down as needed:

=IF(A3="",SUM(A2:INDEX(A$1:A1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A$1:A1=""),ROW(A$1:A1)))),"")

Here's a screencap:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1010/sumcs3.jpg

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Peter" wrote in message
I have a column of data separated with a space. Each space represents
a new day.

2
3
9 14

4
4 8

5
6
7
7 25

4
19 23

Is there a formula I can put along side in column b that will total
each day's results and show it like I've done above?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This works with the data starting in row 1

=IF(A2="",SUM($A1:INDEX($A$1:A1,MAX(1,MAX(IF($A$1: A1="",ROW($A$1:A1)))))),"")

this is an array formula, so Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob

"Peter" wrote in message
I have a column of data separated with a space. Each space represents
a new day.

2
3
9 14

4
4 8

5
6
7
7 25

4
19 23

Is there a formula I can put along side in column b that will total
each day's results and show it like I've done above?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, I had to put it into row one to make it work. Thanks a lot.
Much appreciated.