Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default spaces not recognized as spaces

I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space
before and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by
pressing F2 and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space
at the front and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps the "spaces" are really html non-breaking spaces.

Try something like this:

From the Excel main menu:
<edit<replace
Find what: Hold down the [Alt] key....type 0160...release the [Alt] key
Replace with: (leave this blank)
Click the [Replace All] button

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"windsurferLA" wrote:

I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space
before and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by
pressing F2 and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space
at the front and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Most likely you have invisible html characters, try this
do editreplace, in the find what box hold down alt key and type 0160 on the
numpad, release the alt button, leave replace with empty
click OK

If you do this often you might want to use a macro

same web site has info on how to install macros

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com

"windsurferLA" wrote in message
. ..
I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space before
and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by pressing F2
and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space at the front
and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for super fast response by approach didnt work. I forgot to say
Im running XL97.

The replace or find would not accept any keyboard entries while the
alt-key way displayed. The machine beeps. I cant enter 0160 while the
alt key is depressed.

Your approach seems to seek to enter the ASCII code for a special
symbol. I had been thinking along similar lines. I tried €œ^s€ to
mimic the code one uses for paragraph €œ^p€ and tab €œ^t€ but it also did
not work. .

Any other ideas???

My immediate problem has been solved by my manually editing the 60
numbers, but Id like to know what is going on for future reference.

Ron Coderre wrote:
Perhaps the "spaces" are really html non-breaking spaces.

Try something like this:

From the Excel main menu:

"windsurferLA" wrote:

I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space
before and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by
pressing F2 and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space
at the front and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the NumPad when entering the ALT + 0160

The regular number keys don't work for this method.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:42:39 -0700, windsurferLA wrote:

Thanks for super fast response by approach didn’t work. I forgot to say
I’m running XL97.

The replace or find would not accept any keyboard entries while the
alt-key way displayed. The machine beeps. I can’t enter 0160 while the
alt key is depressed.

Your approach seems to seek to enter the ASCII code for a special
symbol. I had been thinking along similar lines. I tried “^s” to
mimic the code one uses for paragraph “^p” and tab “^t” but it also did

Ron Coderre wrote:
Perhaps the "spaces" are really html non-breaking spaces.

Try something like this:

From the Excel main menu:

"windsurferLA" wrote:

I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space
before and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by
pressing F2 and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space
at the front and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for super fast response by approach didnt work. I forgot to say
Im running XL97.

The replace or find would not accept any keyboard entries while the
alt-key way displayed. The machine beeps. I cant enter 0160 while the
alt key is depressed. Perhaps the ability to accept ASCII codes is a
feature added after XL97. Your approach seems to seek to enter the
ASCII code for a special symbol. I had been thinking along similar
lines. I tried €œ^s€ to mimic the code one uses for paragraph €œ^p€ and
tab €œ^t€ but it also did not work. . The CLEAN() function also did
not work, but now I understand that CLEAN() does not work on ASCII 160.

I note also that if I copy the content of the cell into Notepad, there
appears to be a space before and after the number. If I then copy the
string back from Notepad into Excel, Excel still does not find the
€œspace.€ I would think that Notepad would show something other than a
space if it was some special ASCII code.

I have been reading
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#debugformat
suggested by another.
It suggested using CODE() to find out the ASCII. When I used it, it
returned €œ160.€ Thus you are probably right on the character being the
html non-breaking space. Another suggestion to press F2 and then ENTER
does not seem to change the nature of the special character.

At this point, the issue has become an intellectual challenge. My
immediate problem was solved by my manually editing the 45 individual
numbers. However, exploring the problem has sensitized me to potential
issues.

HOWEVER, ANY OTHER IDEAS SHORT OF UPGRADING TO A NEWER VERSION OF XL
WILL BE EXPLORED???

Ron Coderre wrote:
Perhaps the "spaces" are really html non-breaking spaces.

Try something like this:

From the Excel main menu:

"windsurferLA" wrote:

I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space
before and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by
pressing F2 and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space
at the front and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

WE GOT A HIT!!!! I learned yet another thing... yes using number pad
allows data entry into FIND of ASCII Char() .

with number pad, entering 160 produces character that looks like an "a"
which my DOS book says is char(160) . Seems logical.

At first, when I entered 0160 into replace, I thought it didn't work.
then I noted that the was a blank space in the find field of the find
and replace dialog box. I then hit "replace all" and immediate all the
mysterious spaces were gone.

THANKS

Ron Coderre wrote:
Perhaps the "spaces" are really html non-breaking spaces.

Try something like this:

From the Excel main menu:

"windsurferLA" wrote:

I'm seeking to analyze data copied from stock broker on-line statement.
The values copy across as text with (what appears to be) a space
before and after each number. I can manually delete the spaces by
pressing F2 and the delete or backspace key as appropriate for the space
at the front and rear of the number which is otherwise of the form
-$123,456.00

The function Value() does not retrieve the value from the text stream.

The function Trim() does not remove the spaces.

The menu function, "replace" does not find the spaces when you use the
space bar to enter the item to be searched for.

Is there a special character that appears as a space but is not a space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The spaces should be spaces and be recognised as such. However you might
find that the problem is what Excel is using to understand where one
number starts and another ends. In most import formats, this is handled
by a tab character (small right pointing arrow only visible in MS Word
when you enable the Printers symbol).
Q: Is the stockbroker's detail imported as an ASCII file or are you
trying to copy a spreadsheet directly into Excel? I would suggest you
try an interim step (I have a similar problem and still haven't found
the seamless answer yet): Copy the Stockbrocker statement and paste it
into WORD first. Your should end up with something like this:
-$154,000.45 $145.541$15,098.98 etc (the is actually a right
facing arrow which I can't reproduce here). Note that the second column
contains a blank space which Wrod understands as a space or null.
If you then copy with from Word into Excel, I think you will end up
with numbers and blanks in the right places...

Cheers
Jon

--
Jon Quixley