Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default If Statements

Hello! I have done this before but I can not remeber how!

I want to create an "IF" statmenet to select a given cell depending on a
range. For example - Grading Scale. If Cell A1 is between 100 and 96 then
"A", if cell A1 is between 95 and 89 then "B" ect....

Thank You!
Julie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is quite a common question - you could always try searching other
posts.

The use of IF is not really recommended, because there is a limit in
earlier versions of Excel of 7 nested formulae. An alternative is to
set up a table somewhere in your worksheet and list the grades and
ranges there, then you can use VLOOKUP to extract the appropriate
grade.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 10, 8:04 pm, Julie wrote:
Hello! I have done this before but I can not remeber how!

I want to create an "IF" statmenet to select a given cell depending on a
range. For example - Grading Scale. If Cell A1 is between 100 and 96 then
"A", if cell A1 is between 95 and 89 then "B" ect....

Thank You!
Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how to use the Vlookup. I tried it but i am doing something
wrong because I'm getting an error of #N/A.

I searched for If statements in the discussion board and no results
appeared. I was surprised myself.

On Dec 10, 8:04 pm, Julie wrote:
Hello! I have done this before but I can not remeber how!

I want to create an "IF" statmenet to select a given cell depending on a
range. For example - Grading Scale. If Cell A1 is between 100 and 96 then
"A", if cell A1 is between 95 and 89 then "B" ect....

Thank You!
Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Until you learn VLOOKUP, use this:

=IF(A289,"A",IF(A279,"B", IF(A269,"C",IF(A259,"D","F"))))

Change the cell reference and grading range as needed.

Les

On Dec 10, 8:04 pm, Julie wrote:
Hello! I have done this before but I can not remeber how!

I want to create an "IF" statmenet to select a given cell depending on a
range. For example - Grading Scale. If Cell A1 is between 100 and 96 then
"A", if cell A1 is between 95 and 89 then "B" ect....

Thank You!
Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, tell me what grades you will be using and what marks these
relate to. Can you also describe the layout of your data, eg what
column has your mark, where does your data start, how many rows and
columns of data do you have etc.

Pete

On Dec 10, 8:04 pm, Julie wrote:
Hello! I have done this before but I can not remeber how!

I want to create an "IF" statmenet to select a given cell depending on a
range. For example - Grading Scale. If Cell A1 is between 100 and 96 then
"A", if cell A1 is between 95 and 89 then "B" ect....

Thank You!
Julie- Hide quoted text -