Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there an Excel Viewer ONLY = Excel WITHOUT menues+toolbars around ?

Assume I created an excel sheet which I want to offer some users.

Is there an Excel only Viewer which does not load and show the full Excel software
but only a viewer. This veiwer should allow the user to enter values in prepared cells
and select drop down values but does not offer all the huge functionality.

Particularly it should hide all the menues and toolbars of Excel.

Is there such a viewer only ?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no such thing. You could create a workbook that hid everything
(menus, command bars, etc) and allowed entry into only certain cells, but
that would still be full blown Excel running, not a "viewer". If you need
the user to input data into the worksheet, the viewer won't do it. You'd
have to use full Excel.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Jeff Korn" wrote in message
Assume I created an excel sheet which I want to offer some users.

Is there an Excel only Viewer which does not load and show the full Excel
software
but only a viewer. This veiwer should allow the user to enter values in
prepared cells
and select drop down values but does not offer all the huge functionality.

Particularly it should hide all the menues and toolbars of Excel.

Is there such a viewer only ?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know of a viewer like that which would allow you to do data
entry, but here's one that's strictly "viewer":

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=EN

If the user does have Excel installed, you can use macros and cell
protection to lock it down. Here's an example of something I call in
Workbook_Open and Workbook_BeforeClose events. It makes a list of all
command bars and controls in a separate, hidden sheet. Then, it hides
and disables each one. It also disables basic cut/copy/paste
functionality. It provides the Ctrl+9 keyboard shortcut to "unlock"
the excel environment when necessary.

Public Sub LockdownExcel()
Dim objTemp As Object
Dim cbBar As CommandBar
Dim ctrl As CommandBarControl
Dim cbarCount As Integer
Dim ctrlCount As Integer

'disable keys and change settings
With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.DisplayAlerts = False
.Visible = False
.OnKey "^X", ""
.OnKey "^x", ""
.OnKey "^C", ""
.OnKey "^c", ""
.OnKey "^V", ""
.OnKey "^v", ""
.OnKey "^9", "ThisWorkbook.UnlockExcel"
.CutCopyMode = False
.DisplayStatusBar = False
.DisplayFormulaBar = False
.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True
.ActiveWindow.DisplayHeadings = False
.ActiveWindow.DisplayWorkbookTabs = False
.WindowState = xlMaximized
.ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized
.EnableEvents = False

.CommandBars.DisableAskAQuestionDropdown = True
.CommandBars.DisableCustomize = True

cbarCount = 0
On Error Resume Next
For Each cbBar In .CommandBars
If cbBar.Visible Then
cbarCount = cbarCount + 1
Worksheets("CommandBars").Cells(cbarCount, 1).Value =
cbBar.Name
cbBar.Visible = False
cbBar.Enabled = False
End If
Next cbBar

ctrlCount = 0
For Each ctrl In .CommandBars.ActiveMenuBar.Controls
If ctrl.Visible Then
ctrlCount = ctrlCount + 1
Worksheets("CommandBars").Cells(ctrlCount, 3).Value =
ctrl.Index
ctrl.Visible = False
ctrl.Enabled = False
End If
Next ctrl
On Error GoTo 0

.DisplayAlerts = True
.ScreenUpdating = True
.Visible = True
.EnableEvents = True
End With
excelLocked = True
End Sub

Public Sub UnlockExcel()
Dim cbBar As CommandBar
Dim cbarCount As Integer, cbarTotal As Integer
Dim ctrl As Control
Dim ctrlCount As Integer, ctrlTotal As Integer

'restore command bars
With Worksheets("CommandBars")
cbarTotal = CInt(.Cells(1, 2).Value)
ctrlTotal = CInt(.Cells(1, 4).Value)

On Error Resume Next

For ctrlCount = 1 To ctrlTotal

Application.CommandBars.ActiveMenuBar.Controls(.Ce lls(ctrlCount,
3).Value).Enabled = True

Application.CommandBars.ActiveMenuBar.Controls(.Ce lls(ctrlCount,
3).Value).Visible = True
.Cells(ctrlCount, 3).Value = ""
Next ctrlCount

For cbarCount = 1 To cbarTotal
Application.CommandBars(.Cells(cbarCount,
1).Value).Enabled = True
Application.CommandBars(.Cells(cbarCount,
1).Value).Visible = True
.Cells(cbarCount, 1).Value = ""
Next cbarCount

On Error GoTo 0
End With

'restore shortcut keys and other settings
With Application
.CommandBars.DisableAskAQuestionDropdown = False
.CommandBars.DisableCustomize = False
.OnKey "^X"
.OnKey "^x"
.OnKey "^C"
.OnKey "^c"
.OnKey "^V"
.OnKey "^v"
.OnKey "^9", "ThisWorkbook.LockdownExcel"
.CutCopyMode = xlCopy
.DisplayStatusBar = True
.DisplayFormulaBar = True
.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False
.ActiveWindow.DisplayHeadings = True
.ActiveWindow.DisplayWorkbookTabs = True
End With
excelLocked = False
End Sub

On Dec 9, 12:44 pm, (Jeff Korn) wrote:
Assume I created an excel sheet which I want to offer some users.

Is there an Excel only Viewer which does not load and show the full Excel software
but only a viewer. This veiwer should allow the user to enter values in prepared cells
and select drop down values but does not offer all the huge functionality.

Particularly it should hide all the menues and toolbars of Excel.

Is there such a viewer only ?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A related example of Workbook_Open code is disabling all practical cut/
copy/paste functionality. It works for any office version prior to
2007 (where you have to disable the ribbon commands as well). Here's
the code:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
With Application
.OnKey "^V", ""
.OnKey "^v", ""
.OnKey "^c", ""
.OnKey "^C", ""
.OnKey "^x", ""
.OnKey "^X", ""
.OnKey "^{DEL}", ""
.OnKey "^{DELETE}", ""
.OnKey "^{INSERT}", ""
.OnKey "+{DEL}", ""
.OnKey "+{DELETE}", ""
.OnKey "+{INSERT}", ""

With .CommandBars("Cell")
.Controls("Copy").Enabled = False
.Controls("Cut").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste Special...").Enabled = False
End With

With .CommandBars("Column")
.Controls("Copy").Enabled = False
.Controls("Cut").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste Special...").Enabled = False
End With

With .CommandBars("Row")
.Controls("Copy").Enabled = False
.Controls("Cut").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste Special...").Enabled = False
End With

With .CommandBars("Edit")
.Controls("Copy").Enabled = False
.Controls("Cut").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste Special...").Enabled = False
End With

With .CommandBars("Standard")
.Controls("Copy").Enabled = False
.Controls("Cut").Enabled = False
.Controls("Paste").Enabled = False
End With
End With

With Application
.OnKey "^V"
.OnKey "^v"
.OnKey "^c"
.OnKey "^C"
.OnKey "^x"
.OnKey "^X"
.OnKey "^{DEL}"
.OnKey "^{DELETE}"
.OnKey "^{INSERT}"
.OnKey "+{DEL}"
.OnKey "+{DELETE}"
.OnKey "+{INSERT}"
.CommandBars("Cell").Enabled = True
.CommandBars("Row").Enabled = True
.CommandBars("Column").Enabled = True
With .CommandBars("Edit")
.Controls("Copy").Enabled = True
.Controls("Cut").Enabled = True
.Controls("Paste").Enabled = True
.Controls("Paste Special...").Enabled = True
End With

With .CommandBars("Standard")