Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default auto creating an idex sheet when adding formatted sheets

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Assume your source sheets are simply named as numbers: 1,2,3,... and you want
to retrieve the contents in cells B1, B2, B3, ... from each sheet into a
summary sheet

In your summary sheet,
List the source sheetnames in B1 across, eg: 1,2,3, ...
List the cell references in A2 down, eg: B1, B2, ...

Then place in B2:
=INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!"&$A2)
Copy B2 across/fill down to populate the contents from all the source sheets

If you need it with an error trap to return neat looking blanks ("") for any
source sheets not existing as yet, you could use instead in B2:
=IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!"&$A2)),"",INDIREC T("'"&B$1&"'!"&$A2))
--
Max
Singapore
"Narnimar" wrote:
I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am confused by your statement "The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading"

A1:A10 is a one column range, not the top row.

Where exactly are your headings located?

And where exactly is the data located?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:20:01 -0800, Narnimar
wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Gord Dibben,

Sorry for my wrong statement. I mean the Heading row A1 to J1 and the data
will be in row A2 to J2. Thanks for your help.

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want the new sheet's A2:J2 linked to the Index sheet or just copied over?

To link, run this macro after you have made the new sheet and entered data in
A2:J2

The macro will add the links to the first blank row below existing data on Index
sheet

Sub linkit()
Dim rng As Range
Set rng = Sheets("Index").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp) _
.Offset(1, 0)
rng.Formula = "='" & ActiveSheet.Name & "'!A2"
Sheets("Index").Range(rng.Address & ":J" & rng.Row).FillRight
End Sub

To copy, run this macro to copy contents to first blank row.

Sub copyit()
Dim rng As Range
Set rng = Sheets("Index").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp) _
.Offset(1, 0)
ActiveSheet.Range("A2:J2").Copy Destination:=rng
End Sub

Gord

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked it, it links the data of A to J
of the same sheet (named Index). But I need this sheet is to be an index
sheet. The data in the A2 to J2 of the other sheets (named 1, 2, 3,...n no.
of sheets)I add continuously need to be copied or linked. Your further
assistance is highly appreciated. Thanks.

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't run either macro from Index sheet.

Run while the sheet you just added is the ActiveSheet

Gord

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

No problem with this revised spec:
.. the data will be in row A2 to J2.

as the suggestion to use indirect is easily adaptable

Just change the line in my response:
List the cell references in A2 down, eg: B1, B2, ...

to read as:
List the cell references in A2 down, eg: A2, B2, C2, ... J2

Then use the same formula suggested in B2, viz, either:
=INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!"&$A2)

or
=IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!"&$A2)),"",INDIREC T("'"&B$1&"'!"&$A2))

and copy B2 across/fill down to populate the contents from all the source
sheets
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben,
I got the point. I prefer your cell linking macro. But it adds up same data
if I run it repeatedly. Can you do further some modification in the macro so
that it does not add up rows again which are already updated once from the
sheets? Thanks.

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The cell linking macro has a hard-coded cell address that you originally asked
for.

ActiveSheet.Name & "'!A2"

If you run the macro repeatedly from one sheet it will keep repeating the same
range A2:J2 each time.

What do you want to happen from each sheet that you run the macro on?

Loop down to next row A3:J3?

Same for all the other sheets? How many possible sheets?

How many rows on each sheet are you talking about?

What order do you want the sheets' data placed in the Index sheet?

Leaving out much detail in original posting always leads to this type of
exchange.

Gord

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben
In the sheets from A1 to J2 have the main data like
S. NO ORDER NO DATE APRX. ETD PAYMENT VALUE PARTY SECTION
these datas are getting summarized in the index sheet when macro runs which
is perfect only as per I wanted. Only my worry is that to prevent the chances
of duplicate data which may sit in the index sheet if I run the macro again
by mistake while updating in any of the sheets. If no repetition allowed my
purpose is served.
Thanks.

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you would like is to make sure the macro cannot get run from the same sheet
twice.

I will have to think on that for a while.

Gord

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this revision.

If the activesheet is already linked on Index sheet, the macro will quit.

Sub Linkit()
Dim whatname As String
Dim rng As Range
whatname = ActiveSheet.Name
If ActiveSheet.Name = "Index" Then
MsgBox "Do not run from Index sheet. Try again"
Exit Sub
End If
With Worksheets("Index").Cells
Set c = .Find(whatname, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart)
If Not c Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
End With

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Gord Dibben,
It was working and all cells were filling when run the macro. But
unexpectedly it fills only leftmost cell. I re pasted the macro but no luck.
What would be the reason? Thanks.

wrote:

I have a work book that has a no. of sheets fro sheet 2 to n no. no sheets
with similar format. The top row a1 to a10 has cells with heading . I add new
this similar sheets continuously with changing data in b1 to b10. Now can I
make sheet1 as index of those sheets and how to transfer pasting the contents
of b1 to b10 data of every sheet into the row cells of sheet1 automatically
as and when the sheets I add?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Works for me as written A2:J2 of each sheet is linked by formula to "Index"
sheet in next available row.

If it was working for you but now has stopped, it is not the code.

A change in your layout would be my guess.

Gord