Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default read-only form

Is there anyway to unlock a 'read only' form? It's prompting me for a
password, which of course, I don't have! It's just a spread sheet sent to
me, that I'm supposed to fill in and return. It won't accept my date values
(11/29/07), only shows #######, which I assume means that the column needs to
be wider.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you could tell the originator the problem and let them fix it and send you
a new copy.

But I bet it's not a problem. Make sure you type in the correct date (verify it
in the formula bar).

I'm betting that your windows setting is showing mm/dd/yyyy (even though you
showed 11/29/07) and the originators shows mm/dd/yy (or m/d/yy)--something
skinnier than what you use.

When you (or the developer) use a short date format, excel looks that the
windows regional setting for the short date and uses that.

If it really bothers you, you could change this setting in the control panel.

As you can tell, this is a local setting--it won't have any effect on any other
user.

======
On the other hand, the developer may not have tested enough and didn't make the
column wide enough--or the font small enough.

--

Dave Peterson