Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 opens all spreadsheets

Having just got Excel 2007, when I open it it opens every Excel spreadsheet
created in Excel 2000 that is in my default directory. Like 100's in
something called compatability mode. I cannot find where to turn off this
crazy feature and it does not solve it when I try to save these worksheets.

Any idea's before I go back to 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click the Office Button (top left), then click Excel Options, then click
Advanced. Scroll down to the General section (near the bottom) and see
what's in the box labeled "At startup, open all files in:". If anything is
there, delete it.

"Simon" wrote:

Having just got Excel 2007, when I open it it opens every Excel spreadsheet
created in Excel 2000 that is in my default directory. Like 100's in
something called compatability mode. I cannot find where to turn off this
crazy feature and it does not solve it when I try to save these worksheets.

Any idea's before I go back to 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a smilar problem. My new computer came with a trial version of 2007
that I can not figure out how to delete. I have installed my version of 2003
(that I had purchased previously) on the new computer, and I can not afford
to purchase 2007 at this time. All of my documents default to opening in
2007 unless I open the 2003 program first. Works OK for me, but my techno
impaired husband just wants to hit a shortcut button off the desktop. How do
I turn 2007 off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens if you go into Control Panel Programs Uninstall a program?
Can you see the programs there?
If so, uninstall Excel 2007, or maybe Office 2007 if it came with a trial
version of the whole of office, not just Excel.
Regards,
Alan.
"Patty D" <Patty wrote in message
I have a smilar problem. My new computer came with a trial version of 2007
that I can not figure out how to delete. I have installed my version of
2003
(that I had purchased previously) on the new computer, and I can not
afford
to purchase 2007 at this time. All of my documents default to opening in
2007 unless I open the 2003 program first. Works OK for me, but my techno
impaired husband just wants to hit a shortcut button off the desktop. How
do
I turn 2007 off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Register 2003 version as the default.

If 2007 decides it wants to be the default, de-register 2007 and re-register
2003

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

StartRun "C:\yourpathto2007\excel.exe" /unregserver

See the space between exe and /unregserver.

Then register 2003

StartRun "C:\yourpathto2003\excel.exe" /regserver

This process should make Excel 2003 the default for opening files.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP