Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hide cells

I am using Excel to balance my checkbook. I have transactions that were made
months ago and the list is getting very long. Is there any way to hide the
cells so that I don't have to scroll down every time to the bottom of the
list.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just select the rows from the row numbers at the leftright clickhide rows
OR
place your cursor under your header row(s)windowfreeze panes.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I am using Excel to balance my checkbook. I have transactions that were
made
months ago and the list is getting very long. Is there any way to hide the
cells so that I don't have to scroll down every time to the bottom of the
list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select a bunch of rows from top to near bottom and FormatRowHide.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:17:00 -0800, Fred Goldman
wrote:

I am using Excel to balance my checkbook. I have transactions that were made
months ago and the list is getting very long. Is there any way to hide the
cells so that I don't have to scroll down every time to the bottom of the
list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks guys.

I don't want to hide the whole row. But Bob's idea is perfect. Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I see Bob's also works with the whole column or row.
I need something that can just hide selected cells in a row (I was able to do
this in Excel 97).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you hide just cells and not Rows or Columns where do you expect them to
go?

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
Sorry, I spoke too soon. I see Bob's also works with the whole column or
row.
I need something that can just hide selected cells in a row (I was able to
do
this in Excel 97).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot hide just certain cells in a row or column in any version of Excel,
including 97.

You can hide entire rows or columns only.

Your original post stated your list was getting too long vertically and you
wanted to shorten it.

Hiding rows or Freezing Panes is the only way to do that short of deleting.

Gord

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:05:01 -0800, Fred Goldman
wrote:

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I see Bob's also works with the whole column or row.
I need something that can just hide selected cells in a row (I was able to do
this in Excel 97).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're right, I just fired up Excel 97 and I must have been hiding rows
(which was only hiding part of the column) which made me think you can hide
cells.

And to make things worse I got the terminology wrong. I meant my column was
getting too long.

What I will have to do is put the data that is on the rest of the row onto a
different sheet and continue to hide rows. Thanks everyone for your patience!