Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spreadsheets in separate windows

Is it possible to have two separate spreadsheets open in two distinct,
separate windows, each of which could be independently minimised to the
taskbar?

To clarify what I mean, in Word if you have two documents open, each is in
it's own Word window. I use two screens on my PC, and this allows me to have
one document open on each screen, and to minimise either one to view
something else. This is extremely useful when cross-referencing information.

I want to be able to do the same thing with Excel (using 2003, by the way).
I know that it is possible to stretch the Excel window across both screens
and have two separate sheets open but when it comes to minimising the whole
application goes, which is no use if I want to cross reference with another
application.

Is there some way I can configure Excel to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Checked that and there is a tick in the box, but that still only gives me one
instance of Excel in the taskbar and I have to use the Window menu to switch
between spreadsheets.

"AndrewJ" wrote:

Is it possible to have two separate spreadsheets open in two distinct,
separate windows, each of which could be independently minimised to the
taskbar?

To clarify what I mean, in Word if you have two documents open, each is in
it's own Word window. I use two screens on my PC, and this allows me to have
one document open on each screen, and to minimise either one to view
something else. This is extremely useful when cross-referencing information.

I want to be able to do the same thing with Excel (using 2003, by the way).
I know that it is possible to stretch the Excel window across both screens
and have two separate sheets open but when it comes to minimising the whole
application goes, which is no use if I want to cross reference with another
application.

Is there some way I can configure Excel to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you try opening one file as normal, and then launching Excel again (i.e.
double-clicking the Excel icon so that it opens a new workbook, e.g. Book2)
and opening the second file in the new Excel window?