Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Failing IF Statement

I am using a nested If statement for some financial reports. i have a sheet
for each month of the year. With/in each sheet there is the same cells for
each week:

Date
Service Orders
Deposit
Checking Account
Accounts Receivable

Out to the right of each of these, I enter the amount for that week for
each. Farther to the right, the Accounts Receivable is also calculated based
on last weeks total and this weeks entries. It then compares the calculated
amount to the actual entered amount from accouting software & tells me if I
am balanced or not. The statement has been working all year long until today
& can't figure out why it's not working. Here is the If Statement in
question: =If(C15="","",IF(C15=E15,"Balanced","ERROR!")) This formula is in
box E16. For the week above it, it came out as balanced because the two AR
amounts match. This week, the AR amounts match and it says: ERROR! I also
have a formula in the cell to the right that calculates the difference if the
result is ERROR!, it is saying $0. Can anyone help me out? The formula is
exactly the same as all the others because I copied & pasted them all.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Just a guess but try increasing the decimal places of those 2 cells, I think
you'll find that they don't match, as I said it's just a guess!

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Jemsilve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is nothing wrong with the formula. It is because the values in C15 and
E15 are not equal. If Cell C15 = 150.0000004 and Cell E15 = 150.0000003,
they are not equal. If you have cell E16 to display with fewer than 7 places
of decimal in this example, you will see 0. You have to look in the formula
bar, or display the cells with many places of decimal to see the
differences. Remeber Excel maintains numbers in floating point.

By the way, Excel does not have "boxes", it has cells.