Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default COUNTA failing?

In a brand new worksheet in cell D1 I type =counta(d2:d4,"jones").
I get the answer 1 (one). If I then type jones into cell d3, I get 2.

Why? Is there a bug in counta?

Dick Penny

--
dpenny
dpenny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19708

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The function is doing what it is suppose to do. The "counta" function
counts any string in the selected range.

Your formula has two strings in the range.

Frank

--
fcastrofilippo
fcastrofilippo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36542

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yeah, but what's strange about this is:

=counta(d2:d4,"jones")

Jones evaluates as a #VALUE! error.

Depending on what version of Excel you have (XP and up) use the
ToolsFormula AuditiingEvaluate Formula command.

The formula evaluates straight through to the result of 1.

Now, click the Insert Function icon.

Notice value2 "jones" = #VALUE!

Biff

"fcastrofilippo"
<fcastrofilippo.2bgkot_1153759207.5161@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:fcastrofilippo.2bgkot_1153759207.5161@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

The function is doing what it is suppose to do. The "counta" function
counts any string in the selected range.

Your formula has two strings in the range.

Frank

--
fcastrofilippo
fcastrofilippo's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564365

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

COUNTA simply counts the number of nonblanks in the range(s) you specify and
any values you input as arguments. In your case there is nothing in D2:D4
and you specified one other argument. Therefore the result of 1 is correct.
You could put anything in cell d3 and the result would always change to 2.
You can even insert a value that results in an error (like =NA() or =1/0).

As Dave mentioned, I think you are using the wrong function. If you want it
to count the number of cells in D2:D4 that contain "jones" use this formula

=COUNTIF(D2:D4,"Jones")