Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 not opening files selected....???

When opening an Excel File anywhere on the computer it does not open the info
in the File. I have to go to the "Open" Folder and select the File for it to
correctly open. It just recently started to occure. I've gone tothe XL Start
Folder in the Office 11 Folder and have a blank XL File in it. What could
have occured and how I fix it? It has become increasingly frustrating when
trying to open an Excel File on a Server because I have to first save it to
my Desktop and then open it using the "Open" Folder the same as mentioned
above....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure you have ToolsOptionsGeneral "ignore other applications" unchecked.

Or re-register Excel.........

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:29:01 -0800, Aswcs116
wrote:

When opening an Excel File anywhere on the computer it does not open the info
in the File. I have to go to the "Open" Folder and select the File for it to
correctly open. It just recently started to occure. I've gone tothe XL Start
Folder in the Office 11 Folder and have a blank XL File in it. What could
have occured and how I fix it? It has become increasingly frustrating when
trying to open an Excel File on a Server because I have to first save it to
my Desktop and then open it using the "Open" Folder the same as mentioned
above....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord...
You're very 1st Suggestion solved my problem, you're a Genius! The Box
for "Ignore other Applications" was indeed checked. You've resolved a huge
headache that I've been experiencing for the past couple of weeks. Many, many
thanx!
Could the fact that I have Adobe and the option to convert to a PDF File
have anythiing to do with what happened? This ability had been added to the
computer not so long ago as well, although I haven't experienced the same
issue with Word.

wrote:

When opening an Excel File anywhere on the computer it does not open the info
in the File. I have to go to the "Open" Folder and select the File for it to
correctly open. It just recently started to occure. I've gone tothe XL Start
Folder in the Office 11 Folder and have a blank XL File in it. What could
have occured and how I fix it? It has become increasingly frustrating when
trying to open an Excel File on a Server because I have to first save it to
my Desktop and then open it using the "Open" Folder the same as mentioned
above....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if installing Adobe had anything to do with the option being
checked if you had it unchecked prior to the install of Adobe.

Generally it is the re-installation of Excel or Office that will change the
checkbox.

OR user inadvertently checked it.

Gord