Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keyboard Navigation - selecting non-adjacent rows

Good Afternoon -

I am looking to navigate with keyboard only to highlight multiple rows to be
able to delete these rows.

For instance, I need to manually go through and decide in a 2000 row sheet
and delete almost half of the rows, but in no consistent pattern.

Is there keyboard shortcuts to select a row (Control + spacebar) and then be
able to highlight to a new row and select that as well?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps this:

1) Shift+SpaceBar.........to select an entire row
2) Shift+F8...............to engage "add" mode (visible in the status bar)
3) Use arrow keys to move to a different row
4) Shift+SpaceBar.........to select that entire row

(now...here's the trick)
5) Shift+F8...TWICE.....to re-engage "add" mode

repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 as needed.

Caveat: One false step and you lose your selections.

Consequently, if practical....enter an X in an empty flag column for each
row to be removed.
At the end of the process...
Select that column
Press [F5]
.....Click [Special]
.....Check: Constants
.....Click [OK]
(Now only the marked cells are selected)
<edit<delete.....Check: Entire Row.....Click [OK]

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Katie" wrote in message
Good Afternoon -

I am looking to navigate with keyboard only to highlight multiple rows to
be
able to delete these rows.

For instance, I need to manually go through and decide in a 2000 row sheet
and delete almost half of the rows, but in no consistent pattern.

Is there keyboard shortcuts to select a row (Control + spacebar) and then
be
able to highlight to a new row and select that as well?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ditto to Peo.
However, to select rows instead of columns, I believe the keyboard shortcut
is Alt + Spacebar.

Regards,
Paul

--

"Katie" wrote in message
Good Afternoon -

I am looking to navigate with keyboard only to highlight multiple rows to
be
able to delete these rows.

For instance, I need to manually go through and decide in a 2000 row sheet
and delete almost half of the rows, but in no consistent pattern.

Is there keyboard shortcuts to select a row (Control + spacebar) and then
be
able to highlight to a new row and select that as well?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you to all - it seems this process (while exactly what i asked for) -
is probably more work then the mouse clicking - BUT - i really like the idea
of the x's... fantastic - thank you!

"Katie" wrote in message
Good Afternoon -

I am looking to navigate with keyboard only to highlight multiple rows to
be
able to delete these rows.

For instance, I need to manually go through and decide in a 2000 row sheet
and delete almost half of the rows, but in no consistent pattern.

Is there keyboard shortcuts to select a row (Control + spacebar) and then
be
able to highlight to a new row and select that as well?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm glad you liked that......Thanks for letting me know.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Surely there is something in each row that would allow you to decide which rows
to select for deletion.

How do you decide by eyeball which to delete?

You should be able to filter to find these rows.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP