Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What formula do I use?

I work for a small business and have created a spread sheet for each of the
employees tracking thier Vacation Benefit. Currently there is a row that
documents each day that a vacation day is used by the cell being formulated
for date. At the end of the row I have to manually enter the number of days
used. Is there a way for this cell to tally up the days automatically by
counting the number of cells with a date in it. I tried using Logic
functions like IF but I cant seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

have you tried any of the "count" forumlas as in counta? Check to see if you
have a menu bar that looks like fx. click on that and it will show you
different functions. Go to counta and then highlight the area you wish to
count.
--
suesea

"MABuckeye" wrote:

I work for a small business and have created a spread sheet for each of the
employees tracking thier Vacation Benefit. Currently there is a row that
documents each day that a vacation day is used by the cell being formulated
for date. At the end of the row I have to manually enter the number of days
used. Is there a way for this cell to tally up the days automatically by
counting the number of cells with a date in it. I tried using Logic
functions like IF but I cant seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's say you record the vacation days in row #3:

7/15/2007 8/8/2007 11/5/2007

where a date is entered each time a day is used. The formula:
=COUNT(3:3) will tell you how many cells have been filled in this fashion.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200753

"MABuckeye" wrote:

I work for a small business and have created a spread sheet for each of the
employees tracking thier Vacation Benefit. Currently there is a row that
documents each day that a vacation day is used by the cell being formulated
for date. At the end of the row I have to manually enter the number of days
used. Is there a way for this cell to tally up the days automatically by
counting the number of cells with a date in it. I tried using Logic
functions like IF but I cant seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 6, 10:49 am, MABuckeye
wrote:
I work for a small business and have created a spread sheet for each of the
employees tracking thier Vacation Benefit. Currently there is a row that
documents each day that a vacation day is used by the cell being formulated
for date. At the end of the row I have to manually enter the number of days
used. Is there a way for this cell to tally up the days automatically by
counting the number of cells with a date in it. I tried using Logic
functions like IF but I cant seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

thank you

The =count( ) function should work. But if you are tallying the
number of days used with a number 1, then you can simply use =sum( )
and sum the row.