Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does "cannot shift objects off sheet" prevent row insertion?

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If there is something in row 65535 you can not insert a row as that would
expect the data to move to row 65536 which doen't exist in Excel (except
2007, I believe). Hit Ctrl & End to move to the last used row/column and see
what's there.

Ian

"Idaho old guy" <Idaho old wrote in message
I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
excel is confused. it's internal reference to used space is off. not to
worry. it happen now and then.
to correct.... select all unused columns to the right of your data and delete
select all unused rows below your data and delete. that should reset
everything.

Regards
FSt1

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After following FSt1's advice..............save the workbook for the reset to
take place.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does "cannot shift objects off sheet" prevent row insertio

Thank you. I did that and have no change. It still says cannot shift items
off sheet. This is excel 07 if that makes a difference.

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi again,
the advice i gave along with gord's advice(which i forgot) always worked for
me but in 2003 back. I don't have 2007, haven't worked with it so i don't
know. You may need to seek out a 2007 expert on this one.

sorry
FSt1

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe...

XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-ca;211769

Remember to look for comments and merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you. There are no comments in the sheet, no merged or hidden cells
either. Pre 07 auditing checked for phantom sheet errors (though I don't
remember exactly how to get there) I do not seem to find that option in 07.
I have checked for links, charts, etc. none exist.

Idaho old guy wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Where does Ctrl & End take you to?

Ian

"Idaho old guy" wrote in message
There is nothing at the end.

"Ian" wrote:

If there is something in row 65535 you can not insert a row as that would
expect the data to move to row 65536 which doen't exist in Excel (except
2007, I believe). Hit Ctrl & End to move to the last used row/column and
see
what's there.

Ian

"Idaho old guy" <Idaho old wrote in
message
I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I
just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this
and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could you have hidden shapes in that worksheet?

Maybe you could run a macro to unhide those shapes:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim iCtr As Long
For iCtr = 1 To ActiveSheet.Shapes.Count
ActiveSheet.Shapes(iCtr).Visible = True
Next iCtr
End Sub

Then use
F5 (ctrl-g)|Special|Objects
and hit the delete key
to remove ALL the shapes.

Don't do this if there are shapes that should remain hidden or shapes that
should not be deleted.

Idaho old guy wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Be sure to "Delete Selected Columns" and "Delete Selected Rows". Simply
clearing cell contents with the Delete key will *not* do what you need. Then
save workbook & reopen.

--
HTH,
George

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I
just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this
and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Has anyone been able to solve this for you?
I ask only because I have the same problem in Excel 2007 and none of the
solutions here solves the problem.
This happens on all the sheets in my workbook and I know I do not have any
hidden data.

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, I too would like an answer to this one or at least a way to get around
it. Can you fool the program into letting you add columns? Any help here
would be appreciated. I upgraded from an older version and none of the noted
solutions are working. Thanks. Kelly

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Excel apparently thinks you have data in the last row of your
spreadsheet. To check this, type Ctrl-End, which should take you to the
last entry of your workbook.
One approach is to delete all the rows after where you have placed data.
A second approach is to highlight all your data, then copy and paste to
another sheet or another workbook.
Sorry if these solutions have already been mentioned in other replies.
My Thunderbird newsreader only shows this one response and not the full
thread.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have also had this problem and need to resort to a "work around". However,
when I copy the data in the sheet to another workbook, I lose all my named
ranges referred to in the associated macros. Any ideas?

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause this and
how do I make it go away?

Excel apparently thinks you have data in the last row of your
spreadsheet. To check this, type Ctrl-End, which should take you to the
last entry of your workbook.
One approach is to delete all the rows after where you have placed data.
A second approach is to highlight all your data, then copy and paste to
another sheet or another workbook.
Sorry if these solutions have already been mentioned in other replies.
My Thunderbird newsreader only shows this one response and not the full
thread.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply, Bob. However, the document you referenced was
mentioned earlier in the thread. None of the solutions worked as Kelly Girl
and eperry also posted. What I really need is a work around. The problem
disappears if I copy my range of used cells to another workbook, but then I
lose all my named ranges (about 50) and would like to know if my only option
is to recreate all the named ranges in the new workbook. Maybe I'll just
bite the bullet and recreate them all.
Thanks, again,
Kim

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

I am unable to insert rows in an existing spreadheet and a new one I
just
initiated in a book with multiple sheets. What did I do to cause
this and
how do I make it go away?

Excel apparently thinks you have data in the last row of your
spreadsheet. To check this, type Ctrl-End, which should take you to the
last entry of your workbook.
One approach is to delete all the rows after where you have placed data.
A second approach is to highlight all your data, then copy and paste to
another sheet or another workbook.
Sorry if these solutions have already been mentioned in other replies.
My Thunderbird newsreader only shows this one response and not the full
thread.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi everyone,

Try working around this issue (the error message when you try to insert
sheets) by electing to show all objects. You can do this by pressing CTRL+6.
This setting is located in the Advanced tab in the Excel Options dialog box.

Let me know if this works for you. I'm curious.

- A

"Idaho old guy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This problem was really getting to me but this article sorts it all out

As a quick fix, try CTRL+6

Cheers Jesper