Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locking a Column

Hi,

I have a column with a series of Sum functions. I don't wish the totals to
be altered, is there anyway that I can lock the column to prevent this.

Many thanks,

Simon.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you never ever want the numbers to be altered? You could copy the column
and then 'paste special'...'values' right on top of the existing column. You
will then have the actual numbers rather than the forumlas in the column.
(Of course if you wanted to retain the formulas you could insert a new column
and do the same thing.)

"SiH23" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column with a series of Sum functions. I don't wish the totals to
be altered, is there anyway that I can lock the column to prevent this.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply Tim. Basically I want it so the values in the column
cannot be altered in anyway. This is why I was wondering as to whether it was
possible to 'lock' the column in some way.

Regards,

Simon.

"SiH23" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column with a series of Sum functions. I don't wish the totals to
be altered, is there anyway that I can lock the column to prevent this.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BAE BAE is offline

Simon,
Try the protection function "in reverse". Select the columns in the entire
worksheet EXCEPT the column of formulas. Click on Format, Cells,
Protection. Uncheck the Locked option, and OK.

Then click on Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet, and OK.
This will put protection on just the formula column and the remainder of the
spreadsheet can be used. The formulas will still work, just cannot be
changed by users.

If formulas need to be changed, click on Tools, Protection, Unprotect Sheet.
BAE

"SiH23" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column with a series of Sum functions. I don't wish the totals to
be altered, is there anyway that I can lock the column to prevent this.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay I understand now.

You could hilight the whole sheet and then 'format
cells'....'protection'.... and uncheck the locked box.

Then hilgiht the areas of the sheet you do not want changed and once again
'format cells'....'protection' but this time click the 'locked' box.

Then go to 'tools'...'protection' and protect the sheet. Only the parts of
the sheet you highlighted and locked should now be unaccessable.

(Make sure you make a backup copy of your file before fiddling with
protecting and locking things.)