Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locking column names

If each column has a name (and these are in Row 1) is there any way to
keep these so that they view at the top of the page even if you scroll
down (in the same way that the A, B, C..... do now)?
For example, if you have Jan, Feb, March etc. in row 1 column A, B, C
etc. it is difficult to tell which month the contents of a cell in say
Row 50 belongs to once you scroll out of sight of the names of the
months.
Thanks.

--
pdgood
pdgood's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31623

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

select A2 then go Window|Freeze Panes.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you want is to "Freeze" the row at the top of the sheet. To do
this, place the cell pointer in cell A2 (or the row below the last row
you want 'frozen') and from the main menu click on Window and select
"Freeze Panes".

Now, scrolling down will leave the top row visible.

Note that this can also be used to 'freeze' columns from scrolling to
the left (which is why you need to be in column A when selecting
'Freeze Panes' if you don't want any columns frozen).

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"pdgood" wrote in
message ...

If each column has a name (and these are in Row 1) is there any way to
keep these so that they view at the top of the page even if you scroll
down (in the same way that the A, B, C..... do now)?
For example, if you have Jan, Feb, March etc. in row 1 column A, B, C
etc. it is difficult to tell which month the contents of a cell in say
Row 50 belongs to once you scroll out of sight of the names of the
months.

Select row 2, then
Windows menu/ Freeze Panes.

You can do the same for columns, so if you click in cell C4, for example, &
then Freeze Panes, rows 1 to 3 and columns A & B will be fixed.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you go to Cell A2, then go to the Window menu and choose Freeze Panes,
this will 'lock' Row 1 into place.
HTH Sheila
www.c-i-m-s.com
MS Office training - London

"pdgood" wrote:

If each column has a name (and these are in Row 1) is there any way to
keep these so that they view at the top of the page even if you scroll
down (in the same way that the A, B, C..... do now)?
For example, if you have Jan, Feb, March etc. in row 1 column A, B, C
etc. it is difficult to tell which month the contents of a cell in say
Row 50 belongs to once you scroll out of sight of the names of the
months.
Thanks.

--
pdgood
pdgood's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks very much for all replies but....that option is grayed out. I
tried selecting a single cell, a row, a column, a group of cells but it
always remains grayed out.
I am using Excel 2004 for Mac.

--
pdgood
pdgood's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By the way, the sheet I am trying on is NOT password protected. I know
that that would cause it to be grayed out, but I can't think of
anything else.

--
pdgood
pdgood's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, having the worksheet protected does not disable WindowFreeze Panes.

Having the Workbook structure and windows protected will disable the Freeze
Panes feature.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:26:19 -0400, pdgood
wrote:

By the way, the sheet I am trying on is NOT password protected. I know
that that would cause it to be grayed out, but I can't think of
anything else.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Gord. But I've tried it on new pages where nothing whatsoever is
protected. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that that is the issue.
I'm at a loss to explain what else would prevent this from working.