Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to average two different lines

I have two rows with three columns, the first row has 3 numbers in 3 columns,
the 2nd row only has 1 number in the 2nd column, if i average 1st row, then
average 2nd row, the total of these two average numbers doesn't tie to
average the whole area (1st cell of 1st row to 2nd row last column).

Is there a way to solve the difference, I need the separate average for each
row, then I bring them to a report, the report will sum the two average
together with a formula, also it average the whole data area in a separate
section, these two average need to be same.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I understand your question right you're asking for the impossible.

The first row average will be a true average of three numbers for example
30 + 10 + 20 gives 60/3 or 20
The second row average will be the number say it is 40
the average of these two results will be 20 + 40 or 60/2 or 30
The average of the whole area would be 30 + 10 + 20 + 40 divided by 4 which
is 25.

By giving the second row the same importance as the first row you do not get
a true average you are giving more "weight" to the second row
therefor your first result of 30 is higher than the whole area average of
25.

Your call.
:)

--