Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Update Date

Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was updated in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each time a
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I need each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look he

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Alice" wrote in message ...
| Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was updated in
| a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each time a
| spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I need each
| date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date is
| entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK...now I have to show my ignorance about Excel. Where do I enter this
code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That isn't code, just select your cell, and hit those keys.

--
HTH

Bob

"Alice" wrote in message
OK...now I have to show my ignorance about Excel. Where do I enter this
code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was
updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each
time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I
need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date
is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a keyboard shortcut, press ctrl + shift & ;

Peo Sjoblom

"Alice" wrote in message
OK...now I have to show my ignorance about Excel. Where do I enter this
code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was
updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each
time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I
need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date
is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your help and thank you for your patience with me!

"Alice" wrote in message
OK...now I have to show my ignorance about Excel. Where do I enter this
code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was
updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each
time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I
need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date
is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you! One question though: You show to use a semi colon and Bob shows
to use a colon - what is the difference?

"Alice" wrote in message
OK...now I have to show my ignorance about Excel. Where do I enter this
code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was
updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each
time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I
need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date
is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This worked great and thank you again. One more question..... I changed the
format to enter both date and time but when I do the CTRl :, it gives me both
the date and time but the time is not current time but rather 12:00 AM. I've
used the NOW function before to get current date and time and it worked but
that's where I ran into problems because it wouldn't hold previous
dates/times. Is there a way I can have both - dates are kept and not
overwritten and current time is displayed?

"Alice" wrote in message
OK...now I have to show my ignorance about Excel. Where do I enter this
code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was
updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each
time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I
need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new date
is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To get a colon you need to hit the shift key as well since the default
result of hitting just the semicolon/colon key is a semicolon. Sorry for the
confusion

Peo Sjoblom

code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just
learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Alice" wrote in message
Is there a way to keep a running account of each time the date was
updated
in
a spreadsheet. I was using the NOW function to update the date each
time
spreadsheet was updated but it overwrites the last date entered. I
need
each
date to remain so that EACH time the spreadsheet is updated, a new
date
is
entered. Can you help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Note that you can't get seconds with this, anyway to get both you need to do
the date keypress first (ctrl + ;) then press space and then do ctrl +:

(this time I did it without the shift key)

Peo Sjoblom

code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just
learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,

Use Ctrl-: (colon)

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

code? I'm truly not familiar with this program at all....just
learning.
Thank you!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Alice,