Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Help with transferring middle part of a cell entry

This is I'm sure a simple formula, I have a cell entry which is like
13543/t125790/INT

This represents 3 different pieces of data, I have used left and right
formulas to get the beinning and end of the entry into two separate cells, I
now need to get the middle entry T125790 into a cell of it's own. How do I do
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Paula

Try
=MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^",2))-1-FIND("/",A1))

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Paula" wrote in message
This is I'm sure a simple formula, I have a cell entry which is like
13543/t125790/INT

This represents 3 different pieces of data, I have used left and right
formulas to get the beinning and end of the entry into two separate cells,
now need to get the middle entry T125790 into a cell of it's own. How do I
do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Paula" wrote in message
This is I'm sure a simple formula, I have a cell entry which is like
13543/t125790/INT

This represents 3 different pieces of data, I have used left and right
formulas to get the beinning and end of the entry into two separate cells,
now need to get the middle entry T125790 into a cell of it's own. How do I
do
this?

There are different ways, depending on how flexible it needs to be. If the
number of characters in each 'piece of data' is fixed (at 5, 7 and 3 in your
example), you can use
=MID(A1,7,7)

If this varies, but you have already extracted the left piece into B1 and
the right piece into C1, you can use
=MID(A1,LEN(B1)+2,LEN(A1)-LEN(B1)-LEN(C1)-2)

Do either of these meet your needs?

Stephen