JKB

Default How do I work with part of a cell entry?

I have columns of numbers representing degrees,minutes and decimal minutes
with the format xxxx.xxx where the forst two digits to the left are degrees
and the last five are minutes and decimal minutes. I am using these in
another program that only accepts degrees and decimal degrees. I just wish to
divide the last five digits representing minutes by 60 to get decimal
degrees. My columns can be up to 800 cells long so I would like to establish
a range for the conversion. I am using Excel 2003. Any ideas?
Bernie Deitrick

JKB,

With your number in A1, try the formula

=INT(A1/100)+(A1-INT(A1/100)*100)/60

and copy it down to match your values.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"JKB" wrote in message
I have columns of numbers representing degrees,minutes and decimal minutes
with the format xxxx.xxx where the forst two digits to the left are degrees
and the last five are minutes and decimal minutes. I am using these in
another program that only accepts degrees and decimal degrees. I just wish to
divide the last five digits representing minutes by 60 to get decimal
degrees. My columns can be up to 800 cells long so I would like to establish
a range for the conversion. I am using Excel 2003. Any ideas?

JKB

Bernie
That did not work. Assume the number is 3008.867. I'm only interested in
returning the value of 08.867/60. Disregard the 30. I probably didn't explain
it properly the first time.

"JKB" wrote in message
I have columns of numbers representing degrees,minutes and decimal minutes
with the format xxxx.xxx where the forst two digits to the left are degrees
and the last five are minutes and decimal minutes. I am using these in
another program that only accepts degrees and decimal degrees. I just wish to
divide the last five digits representing minutes by 60 to get decimal
degrees. My columns can be up to 800 cells long so I would like to establish
a range for the conversion. I am using Excel 2003. Any ideas?

Bernie Deitrick

JKB,

=(A1-INT(A1/100)*100)/60

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"JKB" wrote in message
I have columns of numbers representing degrees,minutes and decimal minutes
with the format xxxx.xxx where the forst two digits to the left are degrees
and the last five are minutes and decimal minutes. I am using these in
another program that only accepts degrees and decimal degrees. I just wish to
divide the last five digits representing minutes by 60 to get decimal
degrees. My columns can be up to 800 cells long so I would like to establish
a range for the conversion. I am using Excel 2003. Any ideas?

JKB

Right on, Bernie. I elaborated on your formula to return the degrees to your
answer so I could save it as a text file as the other program requires and
import it directly into the other programs which puts the coordinates
directly onto a chart. The addition to your formula was +int(a1/100). Thank
you for your assistance.
Ken

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

JKB,