Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2002 and 2007 on same computer

I just got Excel 2007 on a new Vista machine. Some good things, some
not-so-good things. Can I install Excel 2002 on this machine, so I can work
faster until I learn 2007? Thanks in advance,
--
Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 17, 5:45 pm, Alan wrote:
I just got Excel 2007 on a new Vista machine. Some good things, some
not-so-good things. Can I install Excel 2002 on this machine, so I can work
faster until I learn 2007? Thanks in advance,
--
Alan

Yes, you should be able to do that. Just select to not overwrite or
remove any of the other versions when installing. I am running 97 and
2003 on the same machine with no problems and am getting ready to add
2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can run more than one version of Office on the same PC. I have 2002 and
2003 on one, and 2003 and 2007 on another. As JW points out, you must tell
the installer not to overwrite the other version (not an upgrade).

CAUTION: most people advise adding the version starting oldest to newest. I
do not know how important this is because I have never 'gone backwards'. In
your case it would mean uninstalling 2007, installing 2002 (and the SRs) and
then reinstalling 2007. I would spend the extra 1/2 hour doing this, just in
case.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Alan" wrote in message
I just got Excel 2007 on a new Vista machine. Some good things, some
not-so-good things. Can I install Excel 2002 on this machine, so I can
work
faster until I learn 2007? Thanks in advance,
--
Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, you can install multiple versions of Office on the same machine. The
installation order is from earliest to latest, so install 2000 first then
2007. Be sure to install them in separate folders, e.g., C:\Program
Files\Office2002 and C:\Program Files\Office2007. During the install setup
process, you will be prompted whether to delete or keep previous versions.
Deletion is the default behavior, so be sure to check the options to keep
previous versions. You can have only one version of Outlook on your machine.

I have 5 versions of Office on my machine and have had no trouble at all.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson