Jeremy

Default Sort Using Different Columns

I am trying to compile a list of sales by customer and total purchases by
that customer in a series of months. I have column a as a master list of
customer names. Column B is going to be the charges for that customer in
lets say may. Column c is going to be the charges for that customer in June.
The problem I am having is that not all customers have charged from us in
the same months so when I bring my data into this worksheet it contains the
customer name in one column and the charges in another. Doing this does not
allow the customer names for one month to line up with the next month because
there may be fewer customers in a certain month. How can I multiple sort
columns to get the customer names to match the ones in column and leave
blanks where there is not a customer.

Thank you
Jeremy

Myrna Larson

If you set up your data as a database, with the customer name in one column,
the date in another, and the amount in a 3rd, then you can create a pivot
table from this data, with, say, the customer name as the row field, the date
as the column field, and the amount as the data field. Then group the date
field by month and year.

Otherwise, you can import the monthly purchases to another sheet (1 sheet per
month) and use VLOOKUP formulas to pull it over to the master sheet.