webehere

Default How to sort random numbers in columns

I need to insert numbers out of order in columns, how can I sort them into
correct order in columns.
Dave Peterson

Select your range and do Data|sort???

(Not sure if I understood the real question, though.)

--

Dave Peterson
webehere

That doesn't work. I have approx 5000 items to scan into a file, they are
numbered 1 thru 5000. i have to scan them out of order. I want to keep a list
of scanned items in numerical order. but, I have to scan them at random. I
need to enter the item number in random order and then sort it into ascending
order and into columns for record keeping. I have been told that this can't
be done. Surely it can.

webehere wrote:

I need to insert numbers out of order in columns, how can I sort them into
correct order in columns.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

So you have the numbers 1-5000 in unsorted order. But you put these numbers
into different columns????

If that's what you meant, then you'll have to do some work.

Put the data in one column and then sort that column.

Then if you really need, separate the single column back into separate columns.

David McRitchie has some code to put the data into separate columns at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm

======
An alternative.

Use MSWord. It handles tables, columns and sorting the way you want.