Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default goal seek function

Is there any way to macro the goal seek function?

I am trying to calculate an investment rate of return in a given
year. The goal seek function requires that the goal be typed into the
middle box in order to calculate. Is there any way around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 1, 2:26 pm, wrote:
Is there any way to macro the goal seek function?

I am trying to calculate an investment rate of return in a given
year. The goal seek function requires that the goal be typed into the
middle box in order to calculate. Is there any way around this?

Try using Tools = Macro = Record New Macro to see how its done.

But are you sure that you need Goal Seek to solve your problem?

I do a lot of IRR calculations, and I have never used Goal Seek. In
fact, I cannot even get the example on the GS help page to work. (And
that is an example of a problem that does not require GS.)

Perhaps if you describe the data that you have, we can offer
alternative approaches that are more direct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I put a 5 in cell A5, and in A6, the formula =a5+1 then I ran:

Sub GS()
Range("A6").GoalSeek Goal:=10, ChangingCell:=Range("A5")
End Sub

After running this, A5 was 9 and A10 showed 10

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any way to macro the goal seek function?

I am trying to calculate an investment rate of return in a given
year. The goal seek function requires that the goal be typed into the
middle box in order to calculate. Is there any way around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Correction:

"Wondering" wrote in message
et...
I put a 5 in cell A5, and in A6, the formula =a5+1 then I ran:

Sub GS()
Range("A6").GoalSeek Goal:=10, ChangingCell:=Range("A5")
End Sub

After running this, A5 was 9 and A6 showed 10

ups.com...