Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default why does Excel change formula to text ?

Hi,

Hoping someone can help :-)

I've been having problems with Excel deciding that formulas should be text.
Everything goes well at first cells involved in the formula highlight in
different colours but as soon as I click the green tick it changes to text.
HELP!

I don't know if Excel is trying to second guess me as I have been cut and
pasting formulas from other workbooks with an apostrophe in front so that it
copies with no changes and then I edit the apostrophe away and the formula
works.

I have also recently changed the tick boxes in the transition tab in tools
options (can't remember which is ticked - sending this from home comp - probs
are with work comp)

TIA for any help you can offer
Many thanks
--
Thank you
Annie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you mean the formulas are wiped and you just see the values?

Are you pasting your formulas from one workbook to another?

Perhaps the two workbooks are in separate instances of Excel.

Try closing one instance and open both workbooks in one instance.

Cut and copy/paste will not change the formulas to values.

Or do you mean the formula shows as a formula instead of the results?

Perhaps the cells were pre-formatted as text.

Format to General then F2 and ENTER

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP