Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Default formatting Pivot table breaks

I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line) I
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data changes I
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rob,

Have you checked your autoformat options to see if one of those formats
suits you? It's the button in the pivot table toolbar second from the left
called "Format Report".

If none of these works for you, you can manually format the rows you want
bolded etc. without losing your format on data refresh. Do it before you
apply any filters to your table. Also go into your Pivot table menu, Table
Options and make sure that the Autoformat table checkbox is UNchecked, and
the Preserve Formatting checkbox IS checked.

Hope this helps :-)

Helen

"Rob" wrote:

I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line) I
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data changes I
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rob

Hover your cursor over any one of your subtotal rows, until you see a solid
black arrow pointing right, then left click.
Apply whatever formatting you want, and it will be applied to all of your
sub-totals.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line) I
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data changes
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey Roger -

I'm familiar with and use the method that you mention. However, all of a
sudden my cursor never turns into the solid black arrow.

Any thoughts?

Marc

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line) I
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data changes
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Marc

Is the sheet protected?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line)
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that
without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data
changes
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

no, it's not protected. It's a file that I created this morning. Did
something happen in the options?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Marc

Is the sheet protected?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line)
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that
without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data
changes
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure that selection is enabled:

Select a cell in the pivot table
On the PivotTable toolbar, click PivotTableSelectEnable Selection

Marc wrote:
no, it's not protected. It's a file that I created this morning. Did
something happen in the options?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Marc

Is the sheet protected?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rob" wrote in message

I have a simple pivot table that lists stuff. it lists States group by
region. On the region break of the pivot table (the summization line)
would like to shade and bold the font. Is there a way to do that
without
having to manually format each row... My concerning is if the data
changes
will loose my formatting.

Example:

NY 45.00
MA 450.00

Northeast regions 950.00 <-- I would like this line bold

FL 65.00
GA 27.00

Southern regions 92.00 <--- I would also like this link bold.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Debra -

That worked. I'm not sure how I got 'un-enabled', but now I know where to
go to fix it.

Thanks for your time.

Marc

Marc wrote:
no, it's not protected. It's a file that I created this morning. Did
something happen in the options?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Marc

Is the sheet protected?