Paul W

Default Error: Cannot open two documents with the same name

I moved my Excel files (Microsoft Office 97) from an ME box to an XP Home
machine via LAN connection, shared folder.

When I open an Excel sheet, I get an error, "Cannot open 2 documents with
the same name." I click OK and then the sheet opens.

I do not have duplicate excel files on the XP machine.

This will happen to not all Excel files, just a large hand full of them.

This will even happen after a fresh reboot, open My Documents and then click
on an Excel file.

Thanks

Paul

Gord Dibben

Paul

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:50:57 GMT, "Paul W" wrote:

I moved my Excel files (Microsoft Office 97) from an ME box to an XP Home
machine via LAN connection, shared folder.

When I open an Excel sheet, I get an error, "Cannot open 2 documents with
the same name." I click OK and then the sheet opens.

I do not have duplicate excel files on the XP machine.

This will happen to not all Excel files, just a large hand full of them.

This will even happen after a fresh reboot, open My Documents and then click
on an Excel file.

Thanks

Paul

Paul W

Gord

Thanks for your quick reply. Tried your first suggested days ago, did not
work.
I will try your second option. Unable to do it now. Do you want to know if
that works or not? I will be doing it on Saturday.

[...]

Gord Dibben

Paul

Generally one or the other will work.

If no joy, you'll be posting back, so we'll assume OK if no follow up.

Thanks for the offer. Always good to get feedback so the archives get updated
with what works or doesn't.

Gord

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:10:12 GMT, "Paul W" wrote:

Gord

Thanks for your quick reply. Tried your first suggested days ago, did not
work.
I will try your second option. Unable to do it now. Do you want to know if
that works or not? I will be doing it on Saturday.

Paul

.. .
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Cline

I moved my Excel files (Microsoft Office 97) from an ME box to an XP

machine via LAN connection, shared folder.

When I open an Excel sheet, I get an error, "Cannot open 2

documents with
the same name." I click OK and then the sheet opens.

I do not have duplicate excel files on the XP machine.

This will happen to not all Excel files, just a large hand full of

them.

This will even happen after a fresh reboot, open My Documents and

then
click
on an Excel file.

Paul,

Did you ever find what caused the problem of duplicate files? I have
the exact same situation but can't tell if your apparently identical
problem was ever solved. If so, would you please let me know how you
fixed it?

You can private mail me at if you wish.

Thanks very much.

Bill