Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding two times values together

I want to add two cells together, one with a time of 17:00 and another with a
duration of 3.25 hours (3 and quarter hours). I want the answer to equal
20.25.

In otherwords, I want to add 3.25 hours onto 5:00pm to give me 8:15 in the
evening.

Any help appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format the cell that contains the sum function using the following custom
format:

[h]:mm

Click FORMAT, CELLS and click the NUMBER tab if necessary. Select CUSTOM
from the CATEGORY list and in the TYPE field enter the format mask stated
above.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Stuart" wrote:

I want to add two cells together, one with a time of 17:00 and another with a
duration of 3.25 hours (3 and quarter hours). I want the answer to equal
20.25.

In otherwords, I want to add 3.25 hours onto 5:00pm to give me 8:15 in the
evening.

Any help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=A2+(B2/24)

format as time

where A2 holds the time value and B2 the decimal value

Peo Sjoblom

"Stuart" wrote in message
I want to add two cells together, one with a time of 17:00 and another with
duration of 3.25 hours (3 and quarter hours). I want the answer to equal
20.25.

In otherwords, I want to add 3.25 hours onto 5:00pm to give me 8:15 in the
evening.

Any help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're "other words" are confusing me...

If A1 contains 17:00:00 (hh:mm:ss) and A2 contains 3.25:

I could use this formula to return 20.25:

=(A1+A2/24)*24
(Make sure the result is not formatted as time)

I could use this formula to return 20:15:00
=A1+A2/24
(and format this as HH:MM or HH:MM:SS)

Stuart wrote:

I want to add two cells together, one with a time of 17:00 and another with a
duration of 3.25 hours (3 and quarter hours). I want the answer to equal
20.25.

In otherwords, I want to add 3.25 hours onto 5:00pm to give me 8:15 in the
evening.

Any help appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks.

Stuart wrote:

I want to add two cells together, one with a time of 17:00 and another with a
duration of 3.25 hours (3 and quarter hours). I want the answer to equal
20.25.

In otherwords, I want to add 3.25 hours onto 5:00pm to give me 8:15 in the
evening.

Any help appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

adding times Damien Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 August 18th 07 10:56 AM
Help Please on adding times Champ Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 April 19th 07 06:10 PM
Adding times Bobby New Users to Excel 3 August 6th 06 11:09 PM
adding times together changetires Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 June 30th 06 01:40 PM
Adding up Times Lisa Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 1st 05 02:32 PM