Deb

Default Conditional Formatting

I can set conditional formatting on a cell for a specific value but is there
a way of setting this formatting to the whole row rather than just the cell?
Thanks
Biff

Hi!

Does that mean you want to extend the *SAME* cf to every
cell in the row, or

do you want to apply cf to the entire row if *ANY* cell in
the row meets your condition?

For the first, select the entire row. Say that is row 1.
Cell A1 will be the active cell.

Conditional formatting
Formula is: =A1=whatever

To apply cf to the entire row if any cell equals whatever.
Select the entire row:

Formula is: =OR(1:1=whatever)

Biff

Deb

Hi

This will probably solve the problem but I can't get it to work yet. If I
have a row and one column might contain the word 'completed', I can format
that column to highlight in red, for example when completed is in the cell,
but I want the whole row to be highlighted. Do I set the conditional
formatting to that column first and then one of your solutions? I have tried
all varieties but none at the moment seem to work.
Thanks for your help
Deb

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Does that mean you want to extend the *SAME* cf to every
cell in the row, or

do you want to apply cf to the entire row if *ANY* cell in
the row meets your condition?

For the first, select the entire row. Say that is row 1.
Cell A1 will be the active cell.

Conditional formatting
Formula is: =A1=whatever

To apply cf to the entire row if any cell equals whatever.
Select the entire row:

Formula is: =OR(1:1=whatever)

Biff

I can set conditional formatting on a cell for a specific

value but is there
a way of setting this formatting to the whole row rather

than just the cell?
Thanks
.

Biff

Hi!

Try this exercise:

In cell G1 enter the word "completed" without the quotes.

Now, select the entire row by clicking on the row header,1.

Goto FormatConditional Formatting.
Formula is: =OR(1:1="Completed")
Click the Format button.
Select whatever styles you want.
OK out.

All of row 1 will now be formatted to whatever style you
selected.

Now, clear the contents of cell G1. The formatting has
been removed. Now, enter the word "completed" in cell A1.

If the word "completed" appears in any cell in row 1,
A1:IV1, the entire row (every cell) will format to the
style you selected.

Now, if you only want the specific cell or cells that
contain the word "completed" to be highlighted but want to
apply this to every cell in the row:

Select the entire row by clicking on the row header, 1.

Goto FormatConditional Formatting.
Formula is: =A1="completed"
Click the Format button.
Select whatever styles you want.
OK out.

Now, enter the word "completed" in cell G1. Now, enter the
word "completed" in cell A1.

Biff

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Does that mean you want to extend the *SAME* cf to

every
cell in the row, or

do you want to apply cf to the entire row if *ANY* cell

in
the row meets your condition?

For the first, select the entire row. Say that is row

1.
Cell A1 will be the active cell.

Conditional formatting
Formula is: =A1=whatever

To apply cf to the entire row if any cell equals

whatever.
Select the entire row:

Formula is: =OR(1:1=whatever)

Biff

Deb

Thanks for this. I don't think I was selecting the whole row but rather to
the end of my data. Does it matter that the formatting goes on for ever?! It
doesn't work if I only select to the end of the data.

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Biff

Hi!

If the end of your data is cell L1 why would you want to
format cells M1:IV1? But that's what you asked for! <g

OK, if your data ends at cell L1:

Hit key F5.
In the Reference box enter M1:IV1
Hit Enter or click OK.
Goto EditClearFormats

Biff

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben

Deb

Select just the cells you want colored.

Assume A1:H1

FormatCFFormula is: =$A1="completed"

Note the $ sign must be entered to fix the column as A

Pick a pattern and Ok.

Enter completed in A1 and A1:H1 only will be formatted.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP