Christine

Default Text not copying as text from Word to Excel 2003

I have a column of data in Word that contains info like, K-12, K-6, P, 9-12,
6-8. When I copy the data to Excel, the cells with the letters copy
correctly, but the cells with the numbers convert to dates. I've tried
pre-formatting the target cells in Excel, I've tried Data | Text to Columns,
I've tried preceding the data with a single apostrophe before copying the
data from Word. Incidently, this "works" but when I find and replace the
apostrophe, the text gets converted to a date! Can anyone help? Thanks in
advance.
--
Christine
Andy Brown

"Christine" wrote in message
I have a column of data in Word that contains info like, K-12, K-6, P,

9-12,
6-8. When I copy the data to Excel, the cells with the letters copy
correctly, but the cells with the numbers convert to dates. I've tried
pre-formatting the target cells in Excel ...

Pre-format the target cells ; then use Paste Special -- Text.

Rgds,
Andy

IanRoy

Hi, Christine;

1) Pre-format the cells that you want to paste into as text.

2) Then when you paste from Word:
a) choose Paste Special Paste: Text,
OR:
b) use the Paste Values button.

You have to use both step 1, and either step 2a or step 2b. Pre-formatting
alone doesn't work. Neither does step 2 alone.

The Paste Values button is not on a toolbar by default, as far as I know.
You can find it at Tools Customize Commands Edit. Drag it to the toolbar
of your choice. It is a good time-saver once you have it there.

Regards,
Ian.

"Christine" wrote:

I have a column of data in Word that contains info like, K-12, K-6, P, 9-12,
6-8. When I copy the data to Excel, the cells with the letters copy
correctly, but the cells with the numbers convert to dates. I've tried
pre-formatting the target cells in Excel, I've tried Data | Text to Columns,
I've tried preceding the data with a single apostrophe before copying the
data from Word. Incidently, this "works" but when I find and replace the
apostrophe, the text gets converted to a date! Can anyone help? Thanks in
advance.
--
Christine

IanRoy

Hi, Christine;
You are most welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
Regards,
Ian.

"Christine" wrote:

Many thanks!