#1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Brand Grouping

Hi,

I'm working with a list of monthly sales figs with multiple brands, each
with multiple items. The description of the items is in 1 cell.

Month1 Month2 ...
Brand A 50g
Brand A 60g
Brand A ...
Brand B 40g
Brand B 60g
Brand B ...


Is there a way to make a sum (or other calculation) per brand, without
having to add a 'summary line' manually ?

I'm thinking of a formula that sums 1 month of all cells where the first
cell starts with "Brand A".

Thanks!


  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 638
Default Brand Grouping

Use a SumIf formula. Example:
=SUMIF(A:A,"Brand A",B:B)

Or you can store the Brand A text in a cell (C2 in the example below)
and reference it in the formula:
=SUMIF(A:A,C2,B:B)

Gecko wrote:
Hi,

I'm working with a list of monthly sales figs with multiple brands, each
with multiple items. The description of the items is in 1 cell.

Month1 Month2 ...
Brand A 50g
Brand A 60g
Brand A ...
Brand B 40g
Brand B 60g
Brand B ...


Is there a way to make a sum (or other calculation) per brand, without
having to add a 'summary line' manually ?

I'm thinking of a formula that sums 1 month of all cells where the first
cell starts with "Brand A".

Thanks!


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Brand Grouping

Hi JW,

Unfortunatelly this doesn't work.

50g/60g/... are also in the same cell as the brand and SUMIF only takes full
cell content in account.

Thanks anyway for your reply !

"JW" wrote:

Use a SumIf formula. Example:
=SUMIF(A:A,"Brand A",B:B)

Or you can store the Brand A text in a cell (C2 in the example below)
and reference it in the formula:
=SUMIF(A:A,C2,B:B)

Gecko wrote:
Hi,

I'm working with a list of monthly sales figs with multiple brands, each
with multiple items. The description of the items is in 1 cell.

Month1 Month2 ...
Brand A 50g
Brand A 60g
Brand A ...
Brand B 40g
Brand B 60g
Brand B ...


Is there a way to make a sum (or other calculation) per brand, without
having to add a 'summary line' manually ?

I'm thinking of a formula that sums 1 month of all cells where the first
cell starts with "Brand A".

Thanks!



  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Brand Grouping

Hi again,

By adding * behind the brandname, I get the result I want.

Thanks a lot !!

"Gecko" wrote:

Hi JW,

Unfortunatelly this doesn't work.

50g/60g/... are also in the same cell as the brand and SUMIF only takes full
cell content in account.

Thanks anyway for your reply !

"JW" wrote:

Use a SumIf formula. Example:
=SUMIF(A:A,"Brand A",B:B)

Or you can store the Brand A text in a cell (C2 in the example below)
and reference it in the formula:
=SUMIF(A:A,C2,B:B)

Gecko wrote:
Hi,

I'm working with a list of monthly sales figs with multiple brands, each
with multiple items. The description of the items is in 1 cell.

Month1 Month2 ...
Brand A 50g
Brand A 60g
Brand A ...
Brand B 40g
Brand B 60g
Brand B ...


Is there a way to make a sum (or other calculation) per brand, without
having to add a 'summary line' manually ?

I'm thinking of a formula that sums 1 month of all cells where the first
cell starts with "Brand A".

Thanks!



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grouping Geoffrey Allen Excel Worksheet Functions 1 January 16th 07 01:47 AM
Grouping John Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 4th 06 09:51 PM
HELP! Brand new user to excel and having problems... rdenny1900 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 June 20th 05 01:37 PM
Grouping Kevin M Excel Worksheet Functions 1 June 10th 05 11:11 PM
Grouping Lila Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 March 1st 05 04:33 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"