Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can exceed 65,000rows in Excel?

Hi there
I'm using Microsoft excel 2007, in window Vista. I got this problem to
paste rows when it is more than 65,000 row.

Eg. Worksheet A already have 40,000 rows. I want to copy data from worksheet
B with total 29,000 rows tp wprksheet A. The no of column i have is 15
columns in A worksheet.

It dont allow me to paste the data in worksheet B to worksheet A, 40,000
row+29.000 rows=69,000 rows. Error message appeared.

"The info cannot be pasted because the copy area and the paste area are not
the same size and shape. Try one of the following:
1) Click a single cell, then paste
2)Select a rectangle that the same size and shape, Then paste."

I also checked that when i pasted 20,000 rows, I could paste it in Worksheet
A.
Is there a limitation in no. of rows ?

My file currently is saved under Excel 97-2003 workbook. xls. type.
I tried save the file in "Excel Workbook(*.xlsx), it doesn't help either.

Kindly asist me for above problem.

Office email:

Thank you
Channe Lim
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

After saving as an xlsx file, you need to close it, then re-open.
Then you should have the ability to have up to 1 million rows.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Channe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You do not say so, but it seems you are using XL2007.
The row limit for XL2007 is 1,048,576
If I copy some data from an XL2003 file to an new XL2007 file and use
CTRL+END it shows I have 1,048,576 rows.
Not sure why you are having trouble.
Does the title bar (very top of Excel window) show "Compatibility mode" ? If
so then XL2007 is behaving like XL2003. Try using a new file.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Channe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would expect TRANSPOSE and INDEX would take full advantage of the large
worksheet.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

Bernard Liengme wrote:
You do not say so, but it seems you are using XL2007.
The row limit for XL2007 is 1,048,576
If I copy some data from an XL2003 file to an new XL2007 file and use
CTRL+END it shows I have 1,048,576 rows.
Not sure why you are having trouble.
Does the title bar (very top of Excel window) show "Compatibility mode" ?
If so then XL2007 is behaving like XL2003. Try using a new file.
best wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could someone run the following code in Excel2007 with n=65535 and then
n=65537 and report the results?

Sub abtest1
Dim arr1(), arr2(), iVar, n
n = 65535
'n = 65537
ReDim arr1(1 To n, 1 To 1)
arr1(4, 1) = "ok"
On Error Resume Next
arr2 = Application.Transpose(arr1)
If Err < 0 Then
MsgBox "Transpose doesn't work"
Err = 0
End If
iVar = Application.Index(arr1, 4, 1)
If Err < 0 Then
MsgBox "Index doesn't work"
Err = 0
End If
Debug.Print arr2(4), iVar
End Sub

Thanks,
Alan Beban

Bernard Liengme wrote:
I would expect TRANSPOSE and INDEX would take full advantage of the large
worksheet.
best wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there a setting somewhere in Excel 2007 that enforces the 65K row
limit on worksheets in workbooks saved in an earlier version? I could
see a need for that kind of thing in some situations.

Mark Lincoln

On Sep 11, 6:50 am, Channe wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan

Code runs and produces the debug result
ok ok

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Bernard Liengme wrote:
I would expect TRANSPOSE and INDEX would take full advantage of the large
worksheet.
best wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, Roger. I guess the next question is "How big can n be?"

Alan Beban

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi Alan

Code runs and produces the debug result
ok ok

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernard Liengme wrote:
I would expect TRANSPOSE and INDEX would take full advantage of the large
worksheet.
best wishes

One might expect that without checking it; but Jim Rech's reply in the
programming newsgroup at 2:01pm today suggests otherwise.

Thanks anyway,
Alan Beban

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan

n 65536 works
n 65537 fails on Transpose
--
Regards
Roger Govier

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi Alan

Code runs and produces the debug result
ok ok

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. And on INDEX? I would expect it returns two message boxes
indicating it fails on both.

Alan Beban

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi Alan

n 65536 works
n 65537 fails on Transpose

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan

Yes, it fails on Index as well.
I had made a small For ... Next loop, and made it exit sub when it hit the
first failure message.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Alan Beban" wrote in message
Thanks. And on INDEX? I would expect it returns two message boxes
indicating it fails on both.

Alan Beban

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi Alan

n 65536 works
n 65537 fails on Transpose

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you.
Yes; all you had to do was paste the code; I had fiddled with it in
order to get both message boxes.

Thanks again,
Alan