Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Exceed Scale

Hello,

I have been asked to produce a simple column chart where one particular
column goes "off the scale", the idea being that this particular product is
so good compared to other similar products that it is "off the chart".

I have produced the chart and obtained the required result by covering the
scale that I don't want to show with a drawn white rectangle with no borders.

As always happens with workarounds, I am wondering if there is a less dodgy
solution to my problem.
--
Any suggestions welcome,
MarkN
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Don,
I am happy to say that I don't think that your suggestion will work because
if you just adjust the maximum scale (which sorts my scale problem) it cuts
off the bar so that it goes to the max of the scale but no further.
--
Any other suggestions or am I missing something?
MarkN

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Can't you just adjust the max scale at lower than the "off the chart" number

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"MarkN" wrote in message
Hello,

I have been asked to produce a simple column chart where one particular
column goes "off the scale", the idea being that this particular product
is
so good compared to other similar products that it is "off the chart".

I have produced the chart and obtained the required result by covering the
scale that I don't want to show with a drawn white rectangle with no
borders.

As always happens with workarounds, I am wondering if there is a less
dodgy
solution to my problem.
--
Any suggestions welcome,
MarkN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You looking for something like this?

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"MarkN" wrote in message
Hello,

I have been asked to produce a simple column chart where one particular
column goes "off the scale", the idea being that this particular
product
is
so good compared to other similar products that it is "off the chart".

I have produced the chart and obtained the required result by covering
the
scale that I don't want to show with a drawn white rectangle with no
borders.

As always happens with workarounds, I am wondering if there is a less
dodgy
solution to my problem.
--
Any suggestions welcome,
MarkN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

One way, if you don't want the broken axis as Jon suggested, would be to
apply a custom number format to the Y axis.

Double click the axis and set the font background to Transparent. The
use the following number format. Replacing 10 with whatever major step
value you want to the scale to stop at.
[White][10]General;General

This will still leave the axis line running to the top of the plot area.
So if you don't want that you will need to construct your own.

Quickest way is to add a dummy series and change the chart type to XY
Scatter, marker only.
The use data like this. Assuming a data set of 4 values, 1,2,15,4. Where
15 is the 'Off the Chart' value. And you are stopping the axis at 10.

X Values ={0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5}
Values ={2,4,6,8,10}

Use the small '+' marker. So Forecolor = black and Backcolor = None.
This will give you the tickmarks. To get the vertical line use Minus Y
Error bars set to a value of 100%.

Cheers
Andy

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I have been asked to produce a simple column chart where one particular
column goes "off the scale", the idea being that this particular product is
so good compared to other similar products that it is "off the chart".

I have produced the chart and obtained the required result by covering the
scale that I don't want to show with a drawn white rectangle with no borders.

As always happens with workarounds, I am wondering if there is a less dodgy
solution to my problem.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info