Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formatting help needed

I want to copy the conditional format that I created to additional lines. I
have followed the instructions to select the cells that have the format. Then
click on format painter, select the cells I want to add that condition to but
it is not copying the format. I'm tracking data on a monthly basis and want
to highest number to highlight on each row. My formula is: if ($e3$:$aq3$)=a3
then high light it red...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would recommend that you go to the original formula and delete the $. The
"$" will lock the value so that you can't drag the formula. If you would
like to freeze a column or row, then you leave the"$" in that box.

"learning quickly" wrote:

I want to copy the conditional format that I created to additional lines. I
have followed the instructions to select the cells that have the format. Then
click on format painter, select the cells I want to add that condition to but
it is not copying the format. I'm tracking data on a monthly basis and want
to highest number to highlight on each row. My formula is: if ($e3$:$aq3$)=a3
then high light it red...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suspect your formula is more like:

=MAX($E$3:$AQ$3)=A3

and this will be applied to cell A3. You can copy this across the
cells in row 3 and it will work, but if you try to copy the format to
another row it will not, as it will always be looking at row 3. Try
changing the formula to:

=MAX($E3:$AQ3)=A3

with A3 selected. Then use the Format Painter to apply this format to
other cells as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete