Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Windows cannot find ___.xls. Make sure you typed the name correc

This is an Excel 2007 problem. I get the following error whenever I try to
open an Excel file. The only way that I can successfully open an Excel file,
is to have Excel open and do a file open. This is not efficient and is VERY
annoying.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi annnicho,

xl 2007 uses different file extensions to those used for xl97-2003. They are
*.xlsx and if macro enabled *.xlsm

You can view them if you open Computer or Windows Explorer and Select
Organize- Folder & Search Options- View tab and uncheck the option for
Hide extensions for known file types.

Hope this helps.

regards,

OssieMac

"annnicho" wrote:

This is an Excel 2007 problem. I get the following error whenever I try to
open an Excel file. The only way that I can successfully open an Excel file,
is to have Excel open and do a file open. This is not efficient and is VERY
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again annnicho,

I might not have understood your request properly. I initially thought that
you were trying to open from a VBA macro. Re-reading your request I am now
not so sure.

Are you trying to open by double clicking in Windows explorer or Computer or
even an attachment in mail? If so, open windows explorer or computer and
select an excel file to be opened. Right click on it and then select Open
with. Select Microsoft Office Excel and then check the box at the bottom to
"Always use the selected program....." and then OK. After that it should work
by just double clicking on the file.

Feel free to reply again if I still have not got it right.

Regards,

OssieMac

"annnicho" wrote:

This is an Excel 2007 problem. I get the following error whenever I try to
open an Excel file. The only way that I can successfully open an Excel file,
is to have Excel open and do a file open. This is not efficient and is VERY
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again OssieMac,

That allowed Excel to open.... but nothing else happened. It is 1 hour
later and Excel is open, but nothing else happened. ie. the file did not open

Are they trying to make us switch to Mac? This is crazy..... any other ideas?

"annnicho" wrote:

This is an Excel 2007 problem. I get the following error whenever I try to
open an Excel file. The only way that I can successfully open an Excel file,
is to have Excel open and do a file open. This is not efficient and is VERY
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am at a loss to know what the problem is. Would you like to explain step by
step what you are doing to open the file just to make sure that I understand
the problem correctly. I am not sure that it will help me to answer your
problem but it might help someone else who reads this if you also test the
following:-

Whether it occurs with all xl files or just some of them.

If it occurs with files created and saved as xl2007 files or only with files
saved with earlier versions of excel.

If it occurs with files saved as an earlier version type but using xl 2007
to save.

If it is occurring just with files containing macros or all files. If the
latter, then check your macro security settings as per the following:-

Click Office button (Large button top left of screen)
Select Excel options (towards bottom right of screen)
Trust Centre
Trust Centre Settings
Macro Settings
Set to disable all macros with notification

Regards,

OssieMac

"annnicho" wrote:

This is an Excel 2007 problem. I get the following error whenever I try to
open an Excel file. The only way that I can successfully open an Excel file,
is to have Excel open and do a file open. This is not efficient and is VERY
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All I am trying to do is double-click on a .XLS file that is in a folder (in
C drive or USB drive). I am literally just trying to open a .XLS file in
Excel 2007. The only way that I can get it to work is to open Excel 2007 and
then do a file-open. Any other way of attempting to open gets me the errors
listed previously.

someone.... anyone.... help!!!
this is crazy!

"annnicho" wrote:

This is an Excel 2007 problem. I get the following error whenever I try to
open an Excel file. The only way that I can successfully open an Excel file,
is to have Excel open and do a file open. This is not efficient and is VERY
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again Annnicho,

Another attempt. In windows explorer, right click on an .xls file to be
opened and select Open with. Highlight Microsoft Excel (One click only) and
then make sure that the box at the bottom is checked for 'Always use the
selected program to open this kind of file'

Regards,

OssieMac