Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Moving a Worksheet

I'm attempting to move a worksheet from Workbook A to Workbook B. Both
workbooks are open. When I select "Move or Copy" from Workbook A, Workbook B
is not listed in the "To Boob" dropdown menu, so I am unable to complete the
move.

I have recently upgraded to Excel 2007, but never encountered this problem
in 2003.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like you have two separate instances of Excel running.

One can't see the other.

Close one instance and open both books in one instance.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:20:02 -0700, jpiseler
wrote:

I'm attempting to move a worksheet from Workbook A to Workbook B. Both
workbooks are open. When I select "Move or Copy" from Workbook A, Workbook B
is not listed in the "To Boob" dropdown menu, so I am unable to complete the
move.

I have recently upgraded to Excel 2007, but never encountered this problem
in 2003.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord - Thanks for looking/responding. Since the original post, I found that
things work fine if I open files through Excel rather than through Explorer.
I had posted a second question including the new details. Eventually, I
found a fix, and posted the fix in my second question, but I should post it
here as well. Thanks again.

Here is my problem/fix from the other post:

Thanks for looking at my post, but I found the answer on my own. If anyone
else has a similar problem, here is what I did to fix it:

I copied the settings/switches from the newest Excel file format; i.e. I
went to Tools/Folder Options/File Types. Then I scrolled to XLSX and copied
these the settings to XLS. That fixed my problem. I may find that it
causes another problem later, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

"jpiseler" wrote:

I've encountered a problem with the way I open Excel 2003 files in Excel 2007:

If I open two older Excel files through explorer, I am unable to see both
workbooks in the "To Book" dropdown list when attempting to move or copy a
worksheet.

If I open the same two workbooks through Excel, both workbooks are visible
in the dropdown list.

I expect that the problem lies with my swithes in the folder options
settings, but I'm unsure what the default values shoud be.

If I go to (in Expllorer): Tools/Folder Options/File Types/(scroll to)
XLS/Advanced/Open/Edit, my "Application used to perform action:" line shows
the following: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
(including the quotes). My "Use DDE" box is checked, but my DDE message is
blank.

Can anyone using Excel 2007 please respond with default values for these
settings?

I would appreciate the help.

wrote:

I'm attempting to move a worksheet from Workbook A to Workbook B. Both
workbooks are open. When I select "Move or Copy" from Workbook A, Workbook B
is not listed in the "To Boob" dropdown menu, so I am unable to complete the
move.

I have recently upgraded to Excel 2007, but never encountered this problem
in 2003.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback.

Sometimes this fix will work.

Go to ToolsOptionsGeneral and make sure "ignore other applications" is not
checked.

Gord

wrote:

I'm attempting to move a worksheet from Workbook A to Workbook B. Both
workbooks are open. When I select "Move or Copy" from Workbook A, Workbook B
is not listed in the "To Boob" dropdown menu, so I am unable to complete the
move.

I have recently upgraded to Excel 2007, but never encountered this problem
in 2003.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shows how well I read posts.

Missed that part about................Can anyone using Excel 2007 please respond
with default values for these settings?

All I read was "opening 2003 files" and never went any further<g

Gord