Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I keep from repeating a number in the same column?

In column A I have a series of numbers. How do I keep other users from
entering a number in Column A which is already present in Column A. So, for
example A2 has #3451. Another user enters #3451 in A10. I need a prompt to
let the user know #3451 has already been used.
Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Chip Pearson's site for using Data Validation to prevent duplicates.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:50:02 -0700, Stephanie
wrote:

In column A I have a series of numbers. How do I keep other users from
entering a number in Column A which is already present in Column A. So, for
example A2 has #3451. Another user enters #3451 in A10. I need a prompt to
let the user know #3451 has already been used.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try this... Place your cursor in Cell A2. Now highlight the entire
column. Now select
Data|Validation - Custom
In the formula box add
=countif(A:A, A2) = 1

You will probably want to change the error alert message, but at this point
you should be good to go in terms of only allowing unique entries...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson