Nexan

Default Repeating number sequence in a column

Is there a way to automatically set up a repeating number sequence in a
column? I've figured out how to do it with sequences of up to 7 numbers using
nested "IF" formulas in a macro, but as I understand it, that's as many
nested formulas as Excel can handle. I'd need repeating sequences up to three
digits in some cases.

Thanks!
Dave O

Can you provide some more information: where does the information come
from, why is a macro with nested IF statements required, maybe examples
of your desired outcome? Most simplistically, if your number sequence
is in cell A1:A5, and that sequence needs to repeat, you could have a
formula in A6 that refers to A1. But it sounds like your application
is much more complicated than that.

Myrna Larson

If the first, say, 100 numbers are in A1:A100, to repeat those numbers in
A101:A200, just use this formula in A101 and copy it down: =A1

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:07:04 -0800, "Nexan"
wrote:

Is there a way to automatically set up a repeating number sequence in a
column? I've figured out how to do it with sequences of up to 7 numbers using
nested "IF" formulas in a macro, but as I understand it, that's as many
nested formulas as Excel can handle. I'd need repeating sequences up to three
digits in some cases.

Thanks!

Nexan

Well, to clarify, I used a macro because in one case, the number sequence
only needed to go from 1-4 and was part of a longer process. But in other
cases, I have to fill in much longer repeating sequences.

Basically, I'm inserting a column and filling in these number sequences by
cutting and pasting at the moment, but I'd prefer to automate the process if
possible. The "IF" equation was the only thing that came to mind, but it
won't work for sequences of the size I'm needing.

The size of the sequence varies by the number of rows of information. For
example, I might have to divide the total number of rows by 500 and then
insert a sequence from 1 to whatever the result of the division is. (Sorry --
that probably sounds more confusing than it is.)