Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Not running calculations until I leave worksheet

I have a workbook with several worksheets that involve a lot of conditional
summing. everytime I make an entry, I have to wait for it to do it's
calculations. I'm sure there's a way to tell it to not make any calculations
until I tell it or until I leave/save the file. You guys have been great so
far. Can you help me here? Thanks.
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use Tools | Options and open Calculation tab
Check the Manual box
To get worksheet to calculate, press F9
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rich D" wrote in message
I have a workbook with several worksheets that involve a lot of conditional
summing. everytime I make an entry, I have to wait for it to do it's
calculations. I'm sure there's a way to tell it to not make any
calculations
until I tell it or until I leave/save the file. You guys have been great
so
far. Can you help me here? Thanks.
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes
Redmond

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you have calculation set to manual.

In xl2003 and below, it's:
tools|Options|calculation tab|check automatic

Rich D wrote:

I have a workbook with several worksheets that involve a lot of conditional
summing. everytime I make an entry, I have to wait for it to do it's
calculations. I'm sure there's a way to tell it to not make any calculations
until I tell it or until I leave/save the file. You guys have been great so
far. Can you help me here? Thanks.
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes
Redmond

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rich,

You can set Excel's Calculations to Manual (Tools - Options - Calculation). Then you can
manually cause a calc by pressing F9, or set up an event-fired macro to do it. Be aware
that this affects all sheets of all open workbooks -- formulas will not have up-do-date
results as their precedent cells change. Any workbooks saved during this time will be saved
set to Manual, and if they're the first opened later, they'll set Excel to Manual, once
again affecting all subsequently opened workbooks. It can spread like a virus if you're not
aware of how it behaves. Must be done with care.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...