Tyler

Default Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.

I am trying to lock out only certain cells on a spreadsheet. They need input
from several other cells to calculate a formula, and I need these other cells
to be editable without using a password. I have tried following the methods
listed in the help file and the online help for excel, but it's not working,
only 1 of the cells is remaining editable. Ideas?
Ken Wright

Each cell has it's own locked/unlocked status that only comes into effect
when the sheet has been protected. Select your cells, do format / cells /
protection, UNTICK locked, Now protect sheet. Cells you formatted will be
editable.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Tyler" wrote in message
I am trying to lock out only certain cells on a spreadsheet. They need

input
from several other cells to calculate a formula, and I need these other

cells
to be editable without using a password. I have tried following the

methods
listed in the help file and the online help for excel, but it's not

working,
only 1 of the cells is remaining editable. Ideas?

Gord Dibben

Tyler

By default all cells in a worksheet are locked when the sheet is protected
under ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet.

Select the cells you want to be available for editing.

FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck "locked" and OK your way out.

Now go to ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet. You can choose to password protect
and if using XL2002 or 2003 also pick from the options listed.

Note: worksheet protection passwords are quite easy to crack, but if your
users are not too sophisticated you should have no worries.

It looks like you just want the protection so data doesn't get overwritten,
not for security.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:03:01 -0800, "Tyler"
wrote:

I am trying to lock out only certain cells on a spreadsheet. They need input
from several other cells to calculate a formula, and I need these other cells
to be editable without using a password. I have tried following the methods
listed in the help file and the online help for excel, but it's not working,
only 1 of the cells is remaining editable. Ideas?

Tyler

Thanks for the quick responses. I won't be in the office tomorrow, but I will
try this when I get in Thursday morning. Thanks again

-Tyler-