Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2002 - Lost Formatting

I was working on an inventory list this afternoon. The spreadsheet contained
five worksheets. I saved it and exited the application.

When I attempted to open it this evening, all five worksheets as well as the
approximately 13 columns converged into a single worksheet under a single
column. Additionally, the color-coded headings do not exist anymore.

There were no formulas on any of the worksheets. The sole purpose of this
spreadsheet was to maintain a supply inventory.

Please respond if you may have an idea of how I might remedy this dillema.

Thanks you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have a backup of this file that contains the formatting and the formulas?

If all you have left is the workbook that contains no formatting and no
formulas, then I think you're out of luck. But do verify that you are looking
at the correct workbook in excel.

Make sure that the worksheet isn't protected (with formulas protected), too.

Did you get a message when you opened the troublesome workbook that explained
what excel found (file is damaged (or something))? You may want to share that
to see if it rings a bell with anyone.

And if you do have a backup copy of that workbook that still has the formatting
and formulas, but causes excel to issue that warning, you may be able to save
it.

You may want to try OpenOffice.org and try opening, then saving (as a new
name). It's been known to save some (not always all) data, formatting, formulas
and code.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I tried both of your suggestions. I
experienced the same problems with the OpenOffice as I did with Excel. The
Recovery for Excel was able to rescue some of the lost data and formatting,
but not enough where it would be worthwhile purchasing it.

However, your two suggestions got me miles ahead of where I was prior to
your response. I truly appreciate the help!!

Thanks again!