Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Complex Sorting

I am a teacher needing help sorting a list of student's names alphabetically,
but I want to keep the information that is in line horizontally with the
student's name.

If I just hi-light the names and click sort, it only sorts those names, and
not the information that goes with it. If I hi-light the whole sheet, it
tells me I can't sort alphabetically because the cells aren't the same size.

If this is not clear, please let me know. I REALLY need your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't highlight the whole page, but just the data that you want sorted (the
names and the other info that goes with it). Then click on data (toolbar at
the top) and sort A-Z. It should ask you what column you'd like to sort by.
Select the column that the names are in.

I hope this helps.

"Patty Kulesavage Broad Ripple HighSchool" wrote:

I am a teacher needing help sorting a list of student's names alphabetically,
but I want to keep the information that is in line horizontally with the
student's name.

If I just hi-light the names and click sort, it only sorts those names, and
not the information that goes with it. If I hi-light the whole sheet, it
tells me I can't sort alphabetically because the cells aren't the same size.

If this is not clear, please let me know. I REALLY need your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You obviously have some merged cells in the sheet somewhere.

Select all cells then Format"CellsAlignment and uncheck the "merge" option.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP