Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table Problem

I am trying to create a pivot table by importing data from an external
source. It is essentially a list of thousands of products and their
respective prices. However, when I try to add the column 'products', I
receive an error message that states: "A field in your data has more unique
items than can be used in a PivotTable report. Microsoft Office Excel amy not
be able to create the report, or may create the report without the data from
this field."
I do not know how to fix this.
I would appreciate any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The most likely issue is your pivot table has more than 65,536 rows
(this is the max # of rows in Excel 2003 and lower).

Try re-arranging the data in your pivot table or removing the
subtotals to reduce the # of rows in your table.

On Aug 30, 3:42 pm, Rody2003
wrote:
I am trying to create a pivot table by importing data from an external
source. It is essentially a list of thousands of products and their
respective prices. However, when I try to add the column 'products', I
receive an error message that states: "A field in your data has more unique
items than can be used in a PivotTable report. Microsoft Office Excel amy not
be able to create the report, or may create the report without the data from
this field."
I do not know how to fix this.
I would appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tim, thanks for your hlep. Before I import the data into the pivot table
there are about 55,000 rows. So I am assuming the limitation of 65,000 rows
is exceeded when the subtotals are entered. How do I get rid of the subtotals?

wrote:
I am trying to create a pivot table by importing data from an external
source. It is essentially a list of thousands of products and their
respective prices. However, when I try to add the column 'products', I
receive an error message that states: "A field in your data has more unique
items than can be used in a PivotTable report. Microsoft Office Excel amy not
be able to create the report, or may create the report without the data from
this field."
I do not know how to fix this.
I would appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's a limit of 32,500 unique items per field in a pivot table in
Excel 2003 and earlier versions. There's information on the limits he

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=820742

You may be able to use another field as a server page field, as
described here, to limit the number of records returned:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211515/en-us

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures