Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to count the char "w"?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to count the char "w" within cell A1?
For example, in cell A1, waterfall - wc, please ignore the upper / lower
case, I would like to count how many "w" or "W" inside the cell A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"w",""))
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to count the char "w" within cell
A1?
For example, in cell A1, waterfall - wc, please ignore the upper / lower
case, I would like to count how many "w" or "W" inside the cell A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"w",""))

Bernard,

Doesn't fine upper case W

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Eric,
Take the length of the original and subtract the length with the "W"
removed.,
add same for the lowercase, since SUBSTITUTE is case-sensitive.

=(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"W",""))) +
(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"w","")))

or

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUE(UPPER(A1),"W"))

More of the same type of things on my strings page
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/strings.htm

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel