-   -   How to count the char "w"? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/155796-how-count-char-w.html)

Eric

How to count the char "w"?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to count the char "w" within cell A1?
For example, in cell A1, waterfall - wc, please ignore the upper / lower
case, I would like to count how many "w" or "W" inside the cell A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Bernard Liengme

How to count the char "w"?

Try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"w",""))
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to count the char "w" within cell
A1?
For example, in cell A1, waterfall - wc, please ignore the upper / lower
case, I would like to count how many "w" or "W" inside the cell A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Sandy Mann

How to count the char "w"?

Try:

=LEN(F7)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(F7),"w",""))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"w",""))

Bernard,

Doesn't fine upper case W

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)

How to count the char "w"?

Try this...

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(A1),"w",""))

Rick

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to count the char "w" within cell
A1?
For example, in cell A1, waterfall - wc, please ignore the upper / lower
case, I would like to count how many "w" or "W" inside the cell A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

David McRitchie

How to count the char "w"?

Hi Eric,
Take the length of the original and subtract the length with the "W"
removed.,
add same for the lowercase, since SUBSTITUTE is case-sensitive.

=(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"W",""))) +
(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"w","")))

or

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUE(UPPER(A1),"W"))

More of the same type of things on my strings page
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/strings.htm

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to count the char "w" within cell
A1?
For example, in cell A1, waterfall - wc, please ignore the upper / lower
case, I would like to count how many "w" or "W" inside the cell A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Eric