Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 - need to mark, not remove, duplicate records.

Excel has a quick and easy way to remove duplicate records, but I need to
mark them and then remove them one at a time from a very large spreadsheet.

Is there a quick and easy to just to flag duplicate records?

Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could sort the data on column A and then in a helper column enter
this formula in row 2:

=IF(A2=A1,"duplicate","unique")

assuming that it is column A where you are expecting the duplicates to
be (and also assuming a row of headers). Copy this formula down. You
could fix the values if you need to.

If the original order of the data is important, then before you do the
above, use Edit | Fill to put a simple sequence 1, 2, 3 etc into
another column. Then after you do the above and fix the values of
"duplicate" and "unique", you can re-sort the data using the sequence
as the sort key.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 22, 12:28 am, DDAI Consult <DDAI
wrote:
Excel has a quick and easy way to remove duplicate records, but I need to
mark them and then remove them one at a time from a very large spreadsheet.

Is there a quick and easy to just to flag duplicate records?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Home - Styles - Conditional Formatting - Highlight Cell Rules -
Duplicates

On Aug 21, 7:28 pm, DDAI Consult <DDAI
wrote:
Excel has a quick and easy way to remove duplicate records, but I need to
mark them and then remove them one at a time from a very large spreadsheet.

Is there a quick and easy to just to flag duplicate records?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And there it is....

Thank you so much. Have a wonderful and productive day!!!

~~ / happy dance! / ~~