Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default when starting excel 2007 i get a preview page

Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Andrew

When you start excel in Safe modus a few times do you have the same prooblem then ?
When you start Excel hold the Ctrl key and say Yes in the dialog

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply Ron.
I just started then closed Excel in safe mode 6 times, one after the other.
The first time it started OK. Attempts 2 and 3 gave me the blue page.
Attempts 4 and 5 were OK. Attempt 6 failed again.
No other app was touched during this time.
Seems to be random.
Andrew.

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this

Try to Run Office Diagnostics on

Office ButtonExcel Options...Resources

--

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Andrew

The only thing I know that you can try now is to clear your Temp folder.
And re-register Excel.

If this is not working I have no other ideas then re-installing Office
But maybe others have ideas

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

StartRun
Enter %temp%
Ok
delete all files and folders in this temp folder

Then this

1 ) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK

--

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ron - I tried all those things - cleared the Temp folder; re-registered
the application; specified the full path.
Still have the same problem. In addition, I checked the event log files for
any indications - nothing reported anywhere as far as I could see.
I expanded the full title of the taskbar entry when Excel starts wrong. It
reads:
"Preview: Page 1920010 of 1920011"
It shows this exact same title every time it doesn't start correctly.
I will reinstall Office later if I can't find any other solution, but I was
hoping for something simpler.
Thank you for your help so far.
Andrew.

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is from another newsgroup (microsoft.public.excel.crashesgpfs)
Adam found a solution for the same problem you have.

Maybe you can try it ?
I did consult another source and they told me that one of the recent excel
updates through Windows Update may be the problem. I checked the latest
updates and uninstalled KB934670. Once uninstalled, Excel starting
functioning normally again.

--

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Several times when I start Excel 2007, I get a blank blue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking the Excel document I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10 Excel starts normally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi! I've actually got exactly the same problem. I have no idea what
causes it, and just like you I have to close the Excel preview and try
to open the document again!....how bizarre!!
I'll keep an eye on this on.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Andrew/James

I hope I have more information soon.
I post back in this thread if I know more

--

wrote in message oups.com...
Hi! I've actually got exactly the same problem. I have no idea what
causes it, and just like you I have to close the Excel preview and try
to open the document again!....how bizarre!!
I'll keep an eye on this on.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Andrew/James

My contact at Microsoft like to have more information
Would it be possible to get a screenshot of the issue?
I'm not sure I understand exactly what is going on?
Is the user just seeing the statusbar at the top of the application,
and the rest of the application is the blue background?

You can send it to my private mail

--

wrote in message oups.com...
Hi! I've actually got exactly the same problem. I have no idea what
causes it, and just like you I have to close the Excel preview and try
to open the document again!....how bizarre!!
I'll keep an eye on this on.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 27, 6:25 am, "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
Update:

The Devs at Microsoft know about the issue.

--

Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Andrew" wrote in ...
Several times when I startExcel2007, I get ablankblue page called
"preview:19200' and there are no options to cancel it.
I close it from the taskbar and hope I can start the application properly by
double-clicking theExceldocument I want to work on. Doesn't always work.
About 8 times out of 10Excelstartsnormally with no problem.
My OS is Vista. Plenty of resources available.

The issue with Excel opening a "blank" Document has been occurring at
our Company's office since we upgraded to Office 2007. I have found
that every single instance of the issue has been caused by Adobe
Acrobat professional or Reader being installed, this only affects the
users who are NOT running the latest version of Adobe Acrobat 8.1. The
Resolution to this issue was to remove Adobe Reader and/or
Professional from the system. Once you have completed this step, you
may receive a "compile error" when you attempt to start Excel. If this
occurs you can delete the "XLSTART" directory from the followign
location "C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office12". The next time
you attempt to run Excel the windows installer will run and "repair"
the installation. Excel should now start without issue. You can also
re-install Adobe Acrobat, just make sure you install the latest
version.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm running Vista, Office 2007, as well as Acrobat 8.1 and have the same
blank blue Excel screen. I have had this problem for several months now and
have been keeping my eye on all the posts here concerning this problem.

There is no tool bar at the top, only the bar which is normally at the
bottom. There is no functionality. I close the blank blue excel window via
task bar.

I have consistently had luck opening excel files while holding down the
"CTRL" key but would like to find the true fix.

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have also have this problem, new PC and office 2007 on vista. Mine tends to
happen frequently, 3 out of 4 times I would estimate. It's incredibly
annoying especially since I use excel frequently.

If Microsoft know of this issue perhaps they could provide an update on
progress for resolving this or at least some background on the cause of this
problem or at least a probem number so that we can track it.

Any more news on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem. Vista Ultimate on new machine and only Office 2007.
It happens about 1 in four times. Very inconsistent occurances. But I didn't
always have this issue, it just started a couple of months ago, so I could go
along with the theory of an "upgrade" issue.....just not certain which one.