Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sharing a workbook with one editor

I have a workbook in which I keep track of Criminal Records that have been
run. I updated this daily and others check it daily. Is there a way that I
can be in it editing while they are looking? I also don't want them to be
able to make any changes to the workbook, just me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you can ask your IT staff to create a share that only you have write
access to. The others can have readonly access.

Then excel will work with windows and respect those settings. You'll be able to
open it without a password and the others will be able to open it in readonly
mode.

No passwords would be required.

If you get your IT staff to do this, you may want to include a trusted co-worker
who can update the file when you're not in the office.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Give specific users access to protected ranges

In order to give specific users access to ranges, your computer must be
running Windows 2000 or later and it must be on a domain.

1. On the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Allow Users to
Edit Ranges. (This command is available only when the worksheet is not
protected.)

2. Click New.

3. In the Title box, type a title for the range you're granting access to.

4. In the Refers to cells box, type an equal sign (=), and then type a
reference or select the range.

5. In the Range password box, type a password to access the range.

The password is optional; if you don't supply a password, any user will be
able to edit the cells.

6. Click Permissions, and then click Add.

7. Locate and select the users to whom you want to grant access. If you want
to select multiple users, hold down CTRL while you click the names.

8. Click OK twice. If prompted, retype the password.

9. Repeat the previous steps for each range for which you're granting access.

10. To retain a separate record of the ranges and users, select the Paste
permissions information into a new workbook check box in the Allow Users to
Edit Ranges dialog box.

11. Protect the worksheet: Click Protect Sheet in the Allow Users to Edit
Ranges dialog box.

12. In the Protect Sheet dialog box, make sure the Protect worksheet and
contents of locked cells check box is selected, type a password for the
worksheet, click OK, and then retype the password to confirm.

Note:

A sheet password is required to prevent other users from being able to edit
your designated ranges. Make sure you choose a password you can remember,
because if you lose the password, you cannot gain access to the protected
elements on the worksheet.

Challa Prabhu