Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Open Excel 2003 file in Excel 2007

Everytime I open an excel 2003 file in excel 2007, I get this annoying
warning saying it is a different formatthan specified by the "file
extension"...

It always asks "do I want to open this file now"?

I'm running Office 07 on Vista.

Any suggestions on how to remove this annoyance?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim Tim is offline

I am running Windows XP and dont have your problem. When I opened an excel
2003 file in excel 2007 I found that it takes longer to open the file without
having Excel 2007 already running (20-60 seconds).

The solution to this problem is easy and does not require any additional
software other than the standard Microsoft Windows Explorer.
1. Open Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)
2. Select Tools | Folder Options from the menu
3. Go to the File Types tab
4. Select list item XLS (Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet) and click
on Advanced. If the €śApplication used to perform action:€ť field the default
value should be €śC:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE€ť /e€ť.
Change this to €śC:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE€ť €ś%1€ł.
Remember to enclose the full excel.exe path and %1 in parenthesis. Since
Windows 95 this is a way to escape spaces in file names; %1 will return the
file name of that file that is being opened by double-clicking.You can
uncheck €śUse DDE€ť but Microsoft Office Excel 2007 will bring it back to what
you see above when you next open it.

5. Just confirm (hit €śOK€ť) on all the Microsoft Windows Explorer dialogs and
next time you open a Excel 2003 file in Excel 2007 without having it already
running you wont have to wait! Problem solved!

You can try to check if this solution will solve your problem with windows
Vista.

Good Luck,

Tim